Python Office Hours
From Pumping Station: One Wiki
HIATUS! Sheila has been hosting this, and she is suddenly very busy. For now, the Thursday office hours is sleeping until she's not busy or until we have a new host and group.
What is this?
This is a chance for people to get together for moral support, project assistance, and homework assistance. We’ll have an experienced python developer or two on hand to help answer questions and explain difficult concepts. This is an “office hours” event with volunteer teaching assistants.
For students, the expectation is that you watch lectures, read tutorials and attempt homework on your own, then use this as a resource to aid in learning.
Curious but don't have a specific question or project?
If you don't already have something to work on or study, look through the resources below.
Here are some suggested starting points.
- if you are new to programming, try out the beginner Boston Python Workshop materials
- if you are new to python but know a little about programming, try out the intermediate Boston Python Workshop materials
I'd like to get some curricula for these topics.
- web development
- raspberry pi
- open data / civic hacking (in process of being developed Intro to Programming Using Open Government Data)
- open science
- young coders (see example from pycon Young Coders Tutorial)
Interactive online tools
- https://www.wakari.io/ interactive python *and* ipython notebook! with matplotlib, scipy, etc.
Online courses providers