From Pumping Station: One Wiki
Nick/Handle: KnitMeaPony (And yes, I have) (okay, it's crochet, but let's not get pedantic)
Name: Laurie Rich
Location: Edgewater/Andersonville and/or Streeterville
Education: JD Michigan State
Career: web monkey design/dev/analytics at not-for-profit membership org
Contact: knitmeapony at gmail, twitter, AIM, tumblr, LinkedIn, etc etc etc. Drop me a line anytime.
Things I know well enough I'm willing to teach. Contact me at the info above if you'd like to discuss
- woodworking (mostly doll furniture and puppet accessories)
I know these things and do them often but not quite well enough to teach them. Or I do them fifty hours a week at work and really don't want to teach'em
- sculpting with paper clay
- sewing & costume design
- cooking, especially tinyfood
- web architecture/design
Things I'd like to know how to do, or do better. If you've got a project and you need a hand to do simple labor, I'll gladly pitch in for the chance to watch you work.
- woodworking (I'm all self-taught, I'm sure there's a right way and a better way to do half of what I do)
- molecular gastronomy
- photography, especially for my etsy shop
Etc Etc Etc
Things that I consume more than do.
- musicals. Music of all kinds, really. Current obsessions: Dessa, Aesop Rock, Kate Peterson, Xavier Rudd, Zanna, Don't!, The Last Five Years, and everything Sondheim has ever touched
- TV, mostly genre work
- Comics. Special favorites: Captain America, Ruse, Battle Kittens, Gunnerkreig Court
- reading and writing, again mostly genre work but a ton of non-fiction too. I have no shame in my trash and no priggishness in my pretension.
Kits for AGD
American Girls dolls have a lot of badass stuff, but not nearly enough STEM-related toys. I'm working with a friend to put together some kits with both doll and kid size equipment, including:
- Chemistry kit with kitchen science experiments book
- Physics kit that includes experiments with ballistics, magnetics?
- Electricians kit that includes information on how to make a battery-powered accessory for the doll
- Maker kit with tools and instructions on modifying existing products to make them better
The Ultimate Organizational Scheme
Custom pieces for all my shelves, racks, and cabinets at home to make my workspace here absolutely perfect.
Recycled board game office supplies
I sell white boards and cork boards made of recycled/upcycled game boards on etsy
Custom & nerddom finger puppets
Crocheted then accessorized to match a photo or to represent someone from various nerddoms/fandoms, then sold on etsy.
I do a lot of LARPing. I'm working on portable, collapsible, and store-able props and lighting for the group.
NaNoWriMo is too stressful for me at this time of year. My problem is persistence, not volume. Next year, I will be stretching out NaNo for twelve months, and writing 5000 words/month. Further details coming.
My first sojurn was Georgia Mason from Newsflesh.
New projects are Ida from Middleman (with HEYDAR) and Pam from Archer (with dolphin)