- Style: Weak Barley Wine
- Codename: Barely Barley Ale
- Tagline: "If you told me this was a porter I'd believe you."
- Brewmaster: Eric Stein
- Type: Partial-grain
- Expected Initial Gravity: 1.103
- Measured Final Gravity: 1.016 smaller bucket, 1.015 on the larger bucket
- ABV: 6.83%
- Brewed: 2/10/2013
- Kegged: ?
- First served: 3/19/2013 on Tap 1
- Last served: ?/?/2013
Originally based on Stone Old Guardian Barley Wine. Tweaked because we don't have a big enough mash tun to make a 5 gallon batch out of 23 pounds of grain. Yipes.
- 8.6 lbs Organic 2 row pale malt
- 14.4 oz UK Crystal 60L (Pauls Medium Crystal Malt)
- 3.3 lb Muntons light malt extract
- 3.3 lb Muntons amber malt extract
- 3.3 lb Muntons dark malt extract
- Type: Single step in insulated mash tun, no heating
- 17.75 qt water at 161F
- expect absorbtion of 4.56 qts, so out of mash pre-sparge we expect 15.44 of wort.
- Target temp: 148F
- Actual temp: 152F
- Start pH: Did not measure
- Time: 90 mins
- End temp: ?
- End pH: Did not measure
- Started: 3:40 PM
- End: 5:16 PM
- 14.625 qts sparge water
- Target temp: 168F
- We accidentally put 3/4 of a teaspoon of 88% lactic acid solution in the sparge water. Don't ask.
- Start: ~8.5gals? Not sure.
- 105 mins. Start with 1.7oz of nugget pellet hops at flame start.
- after the boil is over, add 2 oz of czech saaz pellets in a bag, while the wort chiller runs. Yes that's wacky.
- Boil Yield: ~6 gal
- Boil start: 6:02pm
- Whirlfloc: 7:24pm
- Boil done: 7:47pm (target)
While chilling, fill up the 10 gallon brew kettle to the top with more hot water. Chill down to 88F.
- Starting gravity: 1.071
- Primary ferment: Plastic tubs: 5 gallons in one, 4 gallons in the other.
- Pitched Wyeast 1098 (British Ale)
- Ferment temp set point: 60F
- Checked with wine thief in larger bucket 3/3/2013: grav 1.019.
Flavor @ Wine Thief
Tucker and Eric tested this out with their mouths. It's a little nutty and brown, but also reminds of a stout in a way; a little porterish. Not very hoppy - our dilution lowered the hops.
- Kegged into Keg 5 on 3/17 - the 4 gallon bucket. The other bucket remains. Tasted good at keg, but warm & flat so not a true tasting. Kegged by Sacha De'Angeli and Eric Stein. THIS KEG IS GONE.
- Kegged into Keg 4 on 3/26 - the 5 gallon bucket. Kegged by Tucker Tomlinson, James Longfield, and Eric Stein. Didn't put on force carb until 4/1. Oops.