Board Meeting Notes 2016-04-05

From Pumping Station: One Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Board Meeting Minutes
<< Board Meeting Notes 2016-03-15 2016 Board Meetings Board Meeting Notes 2016-04-19 >>

Meeting Start:

Attendance

  • Board Members
    • Justin
    • Michael
    • Simon
    • Lyn
    • Jenni
    • Dave
  • Other Members
    • Andrew C.

Agenda

  • Check talk page for board meeting notes, see if any discussion on the agenda took place
  • Consent Agenda
    • 1. Approve previous minutes.
    • 2. RT 4432 Remove cameras request. Resolution: This is not a proper issue for vote by the board. Mark as resolved, notify requester.
    • 3. RT #4447 Clean up day food reimbursement. Resolution: Agree to reimburse.
    • 4. RT#4421 Member point(s) for Christopher Kohl. Resolution: Grant 1 member point.
    • 5. RT#4416 Incident on 3/17. Resolution: Mark as resolved.
    • 6. RT#4465 Member points for shop cleanup. Resolution: Grant 1 member point each to Lauren Svedman, Josh Dennis, Milam Smith, Bruce McConachie, James Baker and David Baker Gutkowsky
  • Committee Reports
  • Read mail
  • Financial/membership report
  • Review the PayPal and banking transactions
  • Member leaving reason reports
  • Check RT queue
    • Status of #4086 Property tax bill?
      1. 4214 Trouble Accessing Member Site
  • New business
    • Finalize a list of items we would like to get the landlord to agree to take care of in conjunction with the new lease.
    • Interim donation receipt process.
    • Take some action forward regarding securing the PS1 premises so that we can provide personalized access to the space. Features by priority:
      • Front door - reliable, RFID, Keycard, or other access control system that supports > 2000 individuals.
      • Audit capable system
      • Allows for import of member access data (API control) but caches data so it is resilient and reliable.
      • Back Door and 3515 Elston door.
    • Take some action forward regarding setting up a HR documentation repository.
      • Access controls appropriate for our organization’s peculiarities.
      • Do we need more than access control to files? Do we need a more formal HR system.
      • Probably there is some process that needs to be formalized to go along with the technology for a viable solution.
    • PayPal - upgrade to PayPal Payments Pro - $40/mo, allows for management of subscription profiles (critical for reactivating suspended subscriptions)
      • PayPal - Negotiate transaction fees (we are over the $100k/yr threshold so we should be able to do better than 2.2% + $.30/transaction for NFP)
    • Member status needs to trigger change in Access Directory
    • Ally Skills Workshop in June
      • Organizer charges fees to attendees?
      • Justin might talk to organizer about maybe PS:1 paying (there would have to be a member vote).
  • Old business
    • What is Abbey electric bill status?
      • If still unresolved, what is the action plan?

Minutes

Discussion on previous minutes

Consent Agenda

  • Passes unanimously
  • Michael took care of the consent agenda items

Committee Reports

Reports from Committees

  • Space Committee is getting comments, considering combining into a proposed master plan
    • Still working on voting plan
  • Safety committee
    • Still waiting on news
  • Bylaws committee
    • Read through bylaws and took notes on clarity
    • Comparing current bylaws to 2013 bylaws


Mail

  • IRS revoked our 501(c)3 status, effective May 2015
    • Justin will follow up on IRS letter with lawyer
  • Debiit card for Brian arrived from Chase
    • Simon will hold onto card until he sees Brian
    • Side note - we can get debit cards without atm privileges by request

Financial Report

  • Chase Checking: 42,248.04
  • Chase Savings: $73,647.15
  • PEX: $15,665.86
  • PayPal: $3,297.07

Membership Report

  • Starving Hackers: 280
  • Full Members: 112
  • Total Members: 392
  • Quorum: 38

Transactions

  • Chase:
    • Transferred in $10,000, paid gas, comed, cleaners, refrigeration, Adobe, garbage,
    • Errant rent payment
    • Doublecharged for ACH monthly fee?


Member Leaving Reason Reports

  • Joined catalyze due to location / travel time, and tools more likely to be available on weekends and nights
  • Too busy
  • In transition between employment and education

RT

  • 4214 - Simon to handle
  • 4086 - curious to get an update on getting our share of the 2015 property tax bill
    • check with Brian?
  • 4482 - member point for Lyn for organizing party - Passes unanimously with one abstain
  • 4480 - member point for Dave - passes unanimously
    • Michael to handle the member point requests (4482, 4480)

New Business

  • Prioritized list of items we would like to get the landlord to agree to take care of in conjunction with the new lease.
    • Retrofit all existing T-12 fluorescent fixtures to---T-8? Or LED?
      • Give us a credit, we’ll do the work? We would need to propose a dollar amount.
    • Repair the upstairs floor to eliminate dangerous buckling.
      • Give us a credit, we’ll do the work? We would need to propose a dollar amount.
    • Verify all air conditioning units in good working order. Repair or replace.
    • Fix leaks, Heating, leak in lounge. Bathrooms, fix any leaking sinks
    • Repaint all walls in “new” side of building. Low-VOC paint strongly preferred if possible.
      • Give us a credit, we’ll do the work? We would need to propose a dollar amount.
    • New front door
    • Weather stripping for all doors in building.
    • Water heater, old, replace?
    • Add weatherproofing to upstairs windows.
    • Add some operable windows.
  • Board members present all supported this list and prioritization as well as the plan to have Eric B. continue to negotiate

Interim donation receipt process

  • We have an acknowledgement letter and a receipt form
  • School factory has an online submission form for people to submit details of their donation
    • This would keep track and takes some of the burden off of us
    • We also should issue receipts for Paypal donations (e.g. friends of), whether at time of donation or at year's end
    • Use the current letter and receipt for the time being
    • Ask people to email info@ if they have a donation
    • If we need more process, we can develop from there


Take some action forward regarding securing the PS1 premises so that we can provide personalized access to the space.

  • Ron is working on front door, likely to be up tonight
    • More reliable RFID system
  • Jonathan Bisson is working on individualized access controls
  • Somebody was going to talk to Jonathan and Ron to get an update on access control
  • Table this discussion until Brian is present

Centralized Secure Repository

  • Do we need a more formal HR system to keep track of both private information and histories of complaints / board actions?
  • Some thoughts from the discussion:
    • Would be good to have a better system of organizing HR issues
    • Joining the board gives access to all documents in the drive
    • Could restrict documents to a subset of the board
    • Though that doesn't solve the problem, and we'd want more than one person to have access regardless
    • Keep one file that clearly says confidential
    • Have a Confidential folder with files
    • Title the files with the names of people involved so that board members know if the contents are relevant before looking at file
    • Include description of our system when we train next board


Paypal

  • PayPal - upgrade to PayPal Payments Pro - $40/mo, allows for management of subscription profiles (critical for reactivating suspended subscriptions)
    • The board unanimously passes spending for this.
  • PayPal - Negotiate transaction fees (we are over the $100k/yr threshold so we should be able to do better than 2.2% + $.30/transaction for NFP)
    • Sounds like Brian is working on this.

Member Status Changes AD

  • Dave is working on this, hopes to have it done in the next month
  • Dave to touch base with Ron & Jonathan about their work on access control

Ally Skills Workshop

  • Potential for having Ally Workshop at PS1
  • She charges for the workshop - ask for a member discount
  • Possibility of writing a vote to have PS1 subsidize

Party expenses

  • Party expenses were $268.25
  • Lyn will post party receipts to RT for reimbursement


Old Business

Abby electrical bill status

  • We are owed money
  • What's the status?
  • Michael to talk to Tony about the electric bill
  • We probably need to read the meter too

Old To Do

  • Justin to ask lawyers for an opinion on ADA compliance - still to do
  • Justin to write a new check to Adams Refrigeration - Done
  • Michael to talk to Jennie about donation forms - Done
  • Michael to share information about liability coverage to Director's Google Drive -
  • Michael to handle member point spend requests
    • [4385] Jason requests spend the rest of his points - ?
    • [4407] Ryan requests spend 2 member points - DONE
    • [4354] Spend request - DONE
  • Who is handling member give point requests?
    • Michael did; thanks Michael
  • Brian will contact insurance company to get a quote to cover identified assets (~122K)
  • Ray to order business cards
  • Ask Dave to add a new status to member payment queue for Paypal suspended payment cases - RESOLVED
    • Discussed on directors email list -
    • the problem of tracking members after sending suspension notices should be solved by upgrading Paypal so that the "reactivate subscription" option actually works.
  • [RT4350] Jennie to reply (and include Ray's contact) - DONE


New To Do

  • Ray to order business cards
  • Brian will contact insurance company to get a quote to cover identified assets (~122K)
  • Justin to ask lawyers for an opinion on ADA compliance
  • Justin will follow up on IRS letter with lawyer
  • Simon will hold onto Chase debit card until he sees Brian
  • Michael handled the consent agenda items
  • Michael to handle the member point requests (4482, 4480)
  • RT 4214 - Simon to handle
  • Dave will talk to Jonathan and Ron to get an update on their access control projects
  • Brian is working on upgrading / renegotiating our Paypal agreement
  • Lyn will post party receipts to RT for reimbursement
  • Michael to talk to Tony about the electric bill