Board Meeting Notes 2016-09-06

From Pumping Station: One Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Board Meeting Minutes
<< Board Meeting Notes 2016-08-16 2016 Board Meetings Board Meeting Notes 2016-09-20 >>

Meeting Start:

Attendance

  • Board Members
    • Justin
    • Lyn
    • Michael
    • Brian
    • Simon
  • Other Members
    • Andrew C.
    • Matt H.
    • Jim B.

Agenda

  • Check talk page for board meeting notes, see if any discussion on the agenda took place
  • Consent Agenda
  • Committee Reports
  • Read mail
  • Financial/membership report
  • Review the PayPal and banking transactions
  • Member leaving reason reports
  • Check RT queue
  • New business
    • vote for space buildout charges over $500
    • Area Host map per expansion survey. Map Draft
    • Review Tool Area Host plans
    • member run classes could stand to have a variable requirement for attendance depending on tool availability
    • space infrastructure - set service levels (RFID ront door is in pieces right now)
    • Laser loan vs cash on hand
    • Area Volunteer review
    • Formalize requirements for HR data repository / management
    • Utilities billing still in Abbey's name: ComEd, People's Gas, Waste Management are all currently PS1 accounts. Water/Sewer?
    • grandfathered membership dues
    • Closed session review of member complaints
  • Old business
  • Old Todos
    • All board members to bug area hosts to sign area host agreements (other than Ron)
    • Jennie to review proposals for tool area host committee and come up with a version
    • Jennie to give Ray two member points for [July 14 https://rt.pumpingstationone.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=5139] & [July 20 https://rt.pumpingstationone.org/Ticket/Modify.html?id=5152] - Done
    • Brian to research financing laser through Chase
      • Applied for loan in order to find out terms
    • Brian to look at other options for space insurance
    • Lyn sending reminder to not torrent copyrighted files - Done
    • Simon to forward reimbursement requests to Brian, take care of reactivation of Ashley Matriciano (via Juan Ramos) - Done - thanks Brian!
    • Michael to share current applications for authorizers with area hosts - Done
    • Michael will ask buildout committee to give report for next week - Done

Minutes

Discussion on previous minutes

  • N/A

Consent Agenda

  • All in favor of approving previous minutes

Committee Reports

Reports from Committees

Space buildout committee

  • Andrew & Ron looked through all the expenditures and projected expenses
    • Some things are missing - e.g. hot metals ventilation - and may be future votes
  • Everything is going well.
  • Spent about $1000 so far, mostly on painting.
  • About to spend money on electrical and air and sink plumbing materials
  • A few new ideas that would be new votes:
    • Considering nice range hood, which would be ~$1500. Allocated ~$250 for hood, this may be another vote.
      • Would probably need to put a new hole for 10" duct in the roof, which would cost ~$500
    • Spray booth ventilation roof hole would be another vote.
    • Considering curtain all the way around hot metals
  • Schedule:
    • The main things that needed to happen first have mostly happened (paint and lounge 2.0)
    • Plasma cutter is coming Friday, once that's in place, most other things can happen in any order
    • Woodshop dust collection is first before moving woodshop tool
    • Task list is going into Airway and will be shared
  • Member shelving space is earmarked in hot metals and woodshop
    • Bumpout in hot metals will be storage
    • Brian is interested in helping with storage buildout

Bylaws Committee

  • Currently working on Membership agreement and dispute resolution committee
    • These aren't part of bylaws, but related.
    • There is lawyer that would be interested in helping review these documents

Mail

  • IMTS badges for

Financial Report

  • Chase Checking: $35,181.42
  • Chase Savings: $113,661.10
  • PEX: $8,128.64
  • PayPal: $9,019.78

Membership Report

  • Starving Hackers: 285
  • Full Members: 124
  • Total Members: 409
  • Quorum: 42

Review the PayPal and banking transactions

  • Looking for more documentation from Ray's PEX expenditures
  • First three months of the year are reconciled in quickbooks

Member Leaving Reason Reports

  • Leaving after summer
  • Can't justify in budget
  • Not enough time to get here
  • Too busy, will be back
  • Not enough time in the last few months
  • Personal scheduling, will return in winter
  • Moved to Baltimore
  • Was bummed that garment designer wasn't working
    • Justin to respond that garment designer should be fixed - somebody should make sure that's actually true first.

RT

  • https://rt.pumpingstationone.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=5276
  • Painting party
    • Matt Keith
    • Daniel Peters
    • Sam Paris
    • Sloan Lavery
    • Jim Brink (not sure of last name)
    • Ron Olson
    • Aaron Feigen
    • Bob Loos
    • Burton Kent
    • Jonathan Bisson
    • Jennie Plasterer
    • Juan Rodriguez
    • James Baker
    • Jared Kanofsky
    • Ken for 2 member points for donating supplies & work

(* Michael Skilton declines a point)

  • All points are approved unanimously
    • Michael will assign points
    • Justin will handle transfers on ticket: [1]

New Business

  • member run classes could stand to have a variable requirement for attendance depending on tool availability
    • i.e. are people avoiding running classes because they think they need more people in their classes
    • Brian will clarify the wiki to show that we're
  • Paying for Laser: loan vs cash on hand.
    • Three options
    • Pay cash
      • $15,000
    • Financing through Chase Loan
    • Loan amount for $12,000, 6.05% rate, ~$2200 of interest and fees over five years, can pay off at any time without penalties
    • Finance through direct capital company
      • Worse terms than Chase loan, not recommended
    • Current finances:
      • $$165,000 in cash on hand
      • Need $70,000 of cash for five months of expenses / savings
      • Need ~$35,000 to have
      • Have about $65,000 available for spending (above and beyond what had already been earmarked for expenditure in votes)
      • Current income is about ~$2,000 month
    • Vote of loan vs no loan: unanimously vote 5-0 to pay cash


  • Utilities billing still in Abbey's name: ComEd, People's Gas, Waste Management are all currently PS1 accounts. Water/Sewer?
    • Separate gas bill and water bill on other side need to get changed to our name.
      • Brian will take care of changing these bills in our name
      • Brian will pay bill that Tony emailed us
      • Tony's business license expires February 15th
  • Closed session review of member complaints

Did not get to this time:

  • grandfathered membership dues
  • space infrastructure - set service levels (RFID front door is in pieces right now)
  • Area Volunteer review
  • Formalize requirements for HR data repository / management
  • Review Tool Area Host plans
    • Push to next meeting
  • Old business
  • Old Todos
    • All board members to bug area hosts to sign area host agreements (other than Ron)
    • Jennie to review proposals for tool area host committee and come up with a version
    • Jennie to give Ray two member points for [July 14 https://rt.pumpingstationone.org/Ticket/Display.html?id=5139] & [July 20 https://rt.pumpingstationone.org/Ticket/Modify.html?id=5152] - Done
    • Brian to research financing laser through Chase
      • Applied for loan in order to find out terms
    • Brian to look at other options for space insurance
    • Lyn sending reminder to not torrent copyrighted files - Done
    • Simon to forward reimbursement requests to Brian, take care of reactivation of Ashley Matriciano (via Juan Ramos) - Done - thanks Brian!
    • Michael to share current applications for authorizers with area hosts - Done
    • Michael will ask buildout committee to give report for next week - Done

Old Business

Votes