The Cold Metals Area is one of the Hosted Areas here at PS:One.
|Area Host Contact Details|
|Email:||2010jfb at gmail.com|
|Office Hours:||every other sat 10am - check calender|
- Safety glasses with side shields are required when operating machines or when in the vicinity of operating machines.
- Gloves are not allowed when operating machines.
If you see someone using the equipment improperly, either show them how to do it right, or ask them to stop and seek certification. Notify the Area Host if anyone is abusing, damaging, or messing with the tools in an inappropriate fashion.
If the smoke/CO2 detector goes off, stop what you are doing. Do not shut it off and go back to work until you take a break for at least 15 minutes to be sure there aren't any harmful fumes.
- Safety first - Use at miminum the required safety gear for the tool you are using. Know where the closest fire extinguisher is as well as the first aid kit. And pay attention to what you are doing.
- Clean up after yourself - sweep, throw out little garbage bits, put large scrap pieces in the scrap storage locations.
- Workbenches should be cleared as a courtesy to the next member.
- Label your projects - Name, phone number, email, and date it each time you work on it.
- Put things back when you're done - Lets try to make sure everyone can find the tool they are looking for once you are finished.
- Respect all the tools - They are hungry beasts and will maim you. Don't be goofing off in the shop. Only use tools you are certified to use.
- If something breaks, put a note on it and contact the Area Host, don't just leave it for the next person to find.
- Make awesome things!
- Projects too large for your locker cannot be left in the shop in a manner that makes any tool or workbench unusable. (If you have to store your project in the shop, find an out of the way place for it but it must be labeled).
- You must have a label with your name, phone number, and email on your project and any materials that belong to you. Every time you work on it, write the date on your label.
- If a project is untouched for 10 days, the project will be considered abandoned and be made available to the membership as scrap or thrown away.
- Your project may not be stored in the space for more than 60 days TOTAL time, whether you worked on it daily or once every other week.
For best results, have all the materials on hand when you start a project and set aside time to finish it quickly so we don't have projects laying all over the shop, half done, for months.
All equipment in the workshop has been tagged Category:Shop Equipment.
All equipment requires certification to be used. Please see the individual tool pages for information on who can certify you to use these tools.
Requests for additional equipment are available at Metalshop Wishlist.
Using the tools
If it belongs to PS:One, please be nice to the tools. If they belong to a member who is awesome enough to loan us their personal gear, make sure you treat it extra nice and also, get their permission first.
Please be respectful and aware of others working in the shop at the same time you are. If you are throwing sparks, throw them away from other people. If you are walking around with hot metal, say something so others know where you are and don't get branded. If you are going to start making a lot of noise, let other people know so they can get some ear protection, don't just deafen them.
There are several categories of authorizations in the machine shop.
- Cold Metals Tier 1 - the non-precision machines. This includes the Johnson horizontal bandsaw, the DoAll vertical bandsaw, and the Rockwell drill press. ***NOTE: Prior to April 2017, the hot metals grinder and cutoff saw were included in this authorization. Currently, the hot metals grinder and cutoff saw are covered in a separate authorization, Hot Metals Tier 1*** Contact Sam Olendorf (solendorf at gmail.com) Check the Events calendar Sam has scheduled classes
- Manual Bridgeport milling machine. Cold Metals Tier 1 authorization is a prerequisite. Contact JP DeBauge (impatientinventor at gmail.com) or watch the mailing list for the next session.
- Clausing lathe. Cold Metals Tier 1 authorization is a prerequisite. Contact Anna Yu to schedule.
Suburban Tool https://www.youtube.com/channel/UCrUM7Q29YDCs-zDrc1QRKQQ
Keith Rucker - Vintage Machinery https://www.youtube.com/user/ksruckerowwm/featured
Stefan Gotteswinter https://www.youtube.com/user/syyl/featured
Adam Booth Abomb79 https://www.youtube.com/user/Abom79/featured
Tom's Techniques https://www.youtube.com/user/Figbash3/featured
Mattias Christianson https://www.youtube.com/user/DrMerkwurdig?feature=hovercard
This Old Tony https://www.youtube.com/user/featony
Metal Man Sweden https://www.youtube.com/user/MetalmanSweden
Little Machine Shop Speeds and Feeds calculator https://littlemachineshop.com/mobile/speeds_feeds.php
Pages in category "Cold Metals"
The following 39 pages are in this category, out of 39 total.