Typically when someone wants to do or change something big at Pumping Station: One, they bring it up at a meeting and/or discuss it on the mailing list. Most of the time many of us just don't want to be troubled with spending a week figuring out if everyone is ok with a small or mundane thing, and so there's Do-ocracy. Do-ocracy tends to work just as long as our only rule is followed, to be excellent to each other.
Do-ocracy: If you want something done, do it, but remember to be excellent to each other when doing so.
The Short Version
- A member asks around if anyone would feel negative about the bike shed being pink. No one does.
- The member paints the bike shed pink.
The Being Excellent To Each Other Version
- Dick paints the bike shed pink.
- Jane becomes unhappy about the fact that the bike shed she helped build is now pink.
- Jane politely engages Dick in discussion about why he thought this was ok. Dick realized that other people he shares the space with have feelings too.
- Jane and Dick decide to repaint the bike shed blue.