Jet 30Ton Press
|This tool is currently broken, please contact the area host for more information.|
|Arrival Date||May 2017|
|Contact||Owner: (Tucker Tomlinson)|
The Jet press is a manually operated Hydraulic shop press. It has 2 upright columns crossed by a cap piece housing the hydraulic ram, and by an adjustable platform on which the workpiece rests. The press is capible of exerting 30Tons of force, and has a dial gage reading out the force as you pump up the hydraulic ram. The hydraulic ram is equipped with a handwheel driven jackscrew, allowing ~5" of adjustment in the ram position.
Warning: The listed dangers here are not exhaustive: it is your responsibility to assess each operation you perform at the Ironworking Station to determine any safety risks it may present, and take appropriate steps to mitigate those risks.
- pinch points
- If any body part in the mechanism, or between the tool and a workpiece they can get crushed or nipped off.
- Always ensure that NO ONE has body parts near the ram of the press while operating.
- Do NOT use your hands to hold a part stable while pressing
- flying metal
- The press uses hydraulics to generate EXTEMELY high forces. The ram or baseplates of thetool and the workpieces may fracture sending metal fragments airborn.
- Workpieces may deform and deflect violently out of the machine
Personal Protective Equipment
- Safety glasses
- close toed shoes
- long pants
- long sleeved shirt
- Working on hardened materials
- hardened materials can shatter
- working on sealed containers with liquid or gas contents
- Deformation of the container can put the contents under pressure
- Working on pressure vessels
- Deformation can cause the pressure vessel to fail
Note: Operations not explicitly prohibited in this document may be performed at the user’s risk. It is recommended that the user contact the area host or tool owner prior to performing unusual operations with the tool in order to get feedback on the proposed operation.
Jet 30 Ton Press training document: File:Jet30TonPressTrainingDocument.pdf
Currently Authorized Users
|Authorized Member||Trained By||training date|
|Tucker Tomlinson||Danger Committee|