Meeting Notes 2015-12-29
|<< Meeting Notes 2015-12-22||2015 Meetings||Meeting Notes 2016-01-05 >>|
- Intro to PS1 and what we're about.
- Let new members and visitors intro themselves.
- Pick 2 random people to introduce themselves.
- Introduce the Board and Area Hosts
- Go over things that need doing around the space.
- Awesome call outs
- Tell me about What You Hack
For extended discussions, we may take stack and borrow from MIBS Rules#Meeting Procedures.
Intro to PS1
New People (name - where did you hear about us - what do you make/hack)
- Peter - cobol coder, dreamed about hacker spaces, meetup
- Whitney - artist, art teacher, sculpture - mechanical, people with similar interests at Columbia
- Del - drones mod, mobile computers, computers, makerbot - other people at maker lab at Harold Washington
Board and Area Hosts
Two Random Members
- Sheila - programming, shop, python office hours - Carl videotaped a talk about hacker space
- Jeff - programming, electronic dabbling, making hardware that work with software -google hacker spaces
Things that need doing around the space
- Learn about hot metals - Ron
- CHECK THE DUST COLLECTOR BEFORE, DURING AND AFTER YOU USE ANYTHING CONNECTED TO THE DUST COLLECTOR - today the dust collector was so full the wood dust was overflowing into the collar, that is bad, very bad.
- Please cleanup after yourself in Hot Metals, OMG! Cleanup after yourself OMG!,there is metal dust that could ruin the Mig or Tig, from not cleaning up after yourself, OMG!
- Spray paint on the wall - put fire blanket back on welders after use! This will keep the welders is operation for years
- Please cleanup after yourself in woodworking, use the vacuum after and while making a mess
- Please put your tools away when you take them from the tool cage
- When you are going in or out of the back door check to make sure the pins are still attached to the hinges
- Buy security hinges for back door and install them
- Use of the orbital sanders in the shop isn't powerful, hook up a vacuum to it to collect the dust
- Matt - 120 gallon tank for the compressor needs to be brought here and installed within the next week
- Make sure the back doors are CLOSED because the heat has trouble working and we have to pay for heat and Everett gets cold in the shop, Shellie needs to make Everett a sweater, Everett can't wear a sweater in the shop, the shop is cold so CLOSE the doors
- Mike Skilton and Dean Anderson for patching up the cinder block wall
- Dean fixed the track for the back door
- Erik spent time diagnosing the heating issue in the shop
- Shae walking the shop collecting tools which he wouldn't have to do it people put away what they use
- Patrick cleaned the laser aperture
- Matt dealt with Home Depot in getting the fence for the router table and installing it
What have you been hacking
- Patrick - made a puzzle of the counties of Illinois
- Carl fixed the coffee grinder, replaced the ball bearing - walmart.com sells ball bearing for skates and coffee grinders
- Matt -installed the fence for the router table
- Tuesday, January 19 annual meeting - no quorum is needed to vote for board members, let your voice be heard if you are a full member, VOTE
- Nominations for the 2016 board of directors are open as of 20:43, Dec. 29th - nominate people here 2016 Board Elections,
- Peter Coons - Found a place that will loan tools
- Mike - vote for temporary budget next Tuesday
- No python office hours, Wed. Dec. 30th
- Genetic algorithms - Wed. Jan 20 at 5:45pm, 6:30 talk at Loyola downtown campus, Louis towers auditorium 13 floor
- New Years Eve Gathering - Thursday, Dec. 31st from 5pm until
- Analog game night - Saturday January 2nd from 5pm until
- Budget is good till end of calendar year? Current budget ends Dec. 31, 2015, new budget will be voted on in Jan.
- Size of budget - $250 for each area host and $250 for the cleaning company
- Steven id checks? After the member meeting
- Membership questions - Can 14/15 year old be a member? No, members must be 18 or older. Parent can be a member, child can accompany the parent. Parent must be certified on the machines and be the one using the machine, child can watch.
- What are some highlights from the year? We got more stuff, we got more people, we filed taxes, we applied for 501c3, 371 members, we are expanding the space sometime next year, no major accidents or incidents, no fist fights, we got a Tig welder, new band saw, new tables for electronics lab, rearranged art area, Carl took his tables home
Who wants to give a tour?
Ron, thanks for giving the tour.