Meeting Notes 2016-01-26
|<< Meeting Notes 2016-01-19||2016 Meetings||Meeting Notes 2016-02-02 >>|
- Intro to PS1 and what we're about.
- Let new members and visitors intro themselves.
- Pick 2 random people to introduce themselves.
- Introduce the Board and Area Hosts
- Go over things that need doing around the space.
- Awesome call outs
- Tell me about What You Hack
For extended discussions, we may take stack and borrow from MIBS Rules#Meeting Procedures.
- Jenny Tong
- Sam Paris
- Jim Baker
- Shae Kurko
- Jennie Plasterer
- Brian Chojnowski
- Anna Yu
- Erik Wessing
- Shelly Loke-Gayares
- Koun Park
- Matt Triano
- Daniel Conrad
- Justin Conroy
- Simon Pyle
- Ed Bennett
- Tom Judge
- Jason Shanfield
- Andrew Camardella
- Nina Morrissey
- Peter Paul DePasquale
- Dan Zabinski
- Sam Paris
Intro to PS1
New People (name - where did you hear about us - what do you make/hack)
- Nina | Woodworking & laser for jewelry & metalworking | Google
- Peter | Student @ SAIC |
- Dan | lived nextdoor, learned about PS1 from Conrad | filmmaker & woodworking
- Eric | interested in Transcarnial Direct Stimulation, radios, RF transmission |
Board and Area Hosts
- Justin - President
- Jennie - Vice-president
- Simon - Secretary
- Triano - Woodworking Area Host
- Shay - Toolcage Area Host
- Erik - General Area Host
- Anna - Electronics Area Host
Two Random Members
- found through friends who gifted a membership
- working on a robot pony
- kinetic sculptural work, woodworking, metalworking, etc.
Things that need doing around the space
- Triano - woodworking - empty the dust collector, put away your tools,
- Check the portable shopvac for fullness if it's open
- When it snows, we need to shovel the sidewalk in front of our space
- Take out the trash, don't overfill the dumpster
- Trashcan liners are in the safe (with paper towels, toilet paper)
- Tool cage improvement work is happening tonight - talk to Shae to help out
- Justin shoveled snow
- Erik has been helpful and super helpful with lockers
What have you been hacking
- Shelly - working on dragon head, working on 3-D printing / epoxy eyeballs, will make epoxy sculpt resin scales
- Attendance - we're taking it now
- Endorsement of Metal Supermarket in Niles as a good supplier.
- Chocolate demonstration will happen February 12 by Shelly and husband - more details to come!
- How can we set up a demo/event at PS:1?
- Pick a date, add it to the mailing list, calendar, meetup
- Email president@ if you need help getting into those
- Numbers are based on the 2015 expenditures
- Area host projections are roughly 20% less than 2015 numbers
- Do people need more money?
- Are there places we are spending money on consumables that individual members should be donating for?
- The cost of consumables is variable across areas. We decided when we moved not to track things too specifically.
- We could track this, but there is overhead in figuring this out
- e.g. Flat discs, grinding discs in hot metal
- Shopbot bits - people provide their own bits
- With electronics, we need consumables to have an electronic lab
- Area hosts should give input on their projected expenditures for the following year
- Area hosts were given the opportunity to adjust the initial values
What are the specific items that money will be spent on?
- 2015 expenditures
- What are things spent on in different areas?
- Hot metals - mostly consumables
- CNC - mostly consumables, and some repair
- Tool cage - Shae came on midway, figuring out what will be necessary
- General areas - lots of paper towel
- Space buildout - based on an estimate from Michael Skilton
- Spending for area host is based on track record, anything larger needs to get voted on
- Could look at third quarter spending and project
- Have asked for spending in past years, but don't have projections based on past usage
- Some expenditure is based on the member-size
- Philosophy in putting together the budget is based on trusting the area hosts to spend the money appropriately
- Current membership & rent - report from Treasurer
- Current rent - $~3900/month, doubles when we take over the new space
- Taking over the space in May
- If we have no membership growth, we will be in fine financial state
- Current membership growth trend is flat
- Attrition and new members are about equal
- Full members: 114, Starving Hackers 271 currently
- Average person contributes ~$50 (28% full members)
- IRS penalty was eliminated
- Guidelines for emergency fund is to cover 6 months of rents, utility, insurance, professional services
- There are no spending caps on single item spending in this budget
- Jason would be willing to work on a policy proposal with Tom this week
- Treasurer will total up line items each quarter and post them in RT for member review
- Vote passes:
- 34 Aye - 3 nay - 1 abstain
- Where will this go?
- Cold metals
- Measure passes:
- 36 Aye - 1 Nay - 1 Abstain
- Thanks to Jim for giving the tour