Meeting Notes 2016-03-15
|<< Meeting Notes 2016-03-08||2016 Meetings||Meeting Notes 2016-03-22 >>|
- 1 Agenda
- 2 Minutes
- 2.1 Intro to PS1
- 2.2 Introductions
- 2.3 Special Announcement
- 2.4 Things that need doing around the space
- 2.5 Awesome Callouts
- 2.6 What have you been hacking
- 2.7 Announcements
- 2.8 Questions
- 2.9 Votes
- 2.10 Tour
- Intro to PS1 and what we're about.
- Let new members and visitors intro themselves.
- Pick 2 random people to introduce themselves.
- Introduce the Board and Area Hosts
- Go over things that need doing around the space.
- Awesome call outs
- Tell me about What You Hack
For extended discussions, we may take stack and borrow from MIBS Rules#Meeting Procedures.
Intro to PS1
New People (name - where did you hear about us - what do you make/hack)
- Don | 3D printing | 12 year old wants to build a forge | learned about us online
- Zack | industrial engineering | home from college out of state | son of Don
- Joe | teaches imagineering class @ Montessori | built a robot that flew an autonomous powered parasail | learned about us online
- Gregor | builds things that include tables. Oh, and a hydrogen processor | First came to a meetup a year ago
- Al | found us through Google | working with python, wants to get into woodworking
- Keith | with roommate recommendation | bikes are fun |
Two Random Members
- Patrick | runs power racing series - next one is in San Mateo in May, then Kansas City, Detroit, Colorado. Milwaukee is in September www.powerracingseries.org, www.makerfaire.com | Member since 2010
Board and Area Hosts
- Justin - President
- Simon - Secretary
- Lyn - Director at Purple
- Anna - Electronics Area Host
- Shellie - Arts & Crafts Area Host
- Triano - Woodshop Area Host
- We're officially a 501(c)3!
- Awesome Callout and thanks to the previous directors and those who made this happen.
Things that need doing around the space
- Please wash your dishes, either by hand or by dishwashing machine. Put dishes in and turn on.
- Sweep up the shop (and everywhere else that there is floor) and put tools away when they are not in use.
- Take out the trash.
- To everybody who made Pumping Station: One's nonprofit status possible
- Shelly Loke cleaned all the towels in the kitchen
- Shelly & Gerald ran an event making chocolate truffles
- Lyn hosted Pi Day
- there's still pie and it needs to be eaten!
- Sheila made an emergency pie plate run pi day
- Space planning committee for all of their work
- Eric B for negotiating our lease with landlord
What have you been hacking
- Justin & Everett invented a new card game called Thai Pirate Rummy
- Ask them for the rules
- Lyn made a doodle app for Android
- Four colors are available. (You'll be surprised what color didn't make the list.)
- Gregor made mozzarella cheese
- Everybody is invited: Potluck after the open house/member meeting on March 29th - bring food!
- Birthday party for PS:1 is April 2nd.
- Shelly is running a pathfinder game on Friday starting at 3; feel free to drop in later than that with a character.
- Patrick needs to repeatedly practice taking vitals to get his EMT certificate - he'll take your blood pressure after the meeting.
- Bike night is tomorrow (Wednesday) at 8pm in the shop. Bring your bike, bike accessory, bike-related project, or bike thoughts.
- SIGBOT - Robotics Special Interest Group - is Thursday at 7 in electronics lounge.
- Has anyone installed raspbian on a microsd card for raspberry pi using a mac?
- Dubi is setting up a pi for the first time
- Do we have t-shirts?
- There is a link on the website to buy t-shirts
- [You can get t-shirts printed on-demand]
- But if you want to make other t-shirts happen, do it
- Do we do anything with our sawdust? Can we donate it somewhere?
- There are stoves that burn sawdust
- if the sawdust contains elements that don't burn safely (acrylic, treated wood), that could be dodgy
- Guests from the Analytics Lounge: Peter & Josh
- [Analytics Lounge Website]
- Goal is a place in maker culture for equipment less focused on making and more focused on measuring & lab equipment
Questions and Answers:
- Analytics Lounge (AL) will pick up the SEM
- Ryan sponsored this vote
- Analytics Lounge is working on creating a reduced dust environment
- We had trouble getting data off the SEM due to it using floppy disks as storage
- We were able to network it to get data off
- Analytics Lounge (Peter) has expertise supporting older equipment
- Considering converting the SEM VGA output to DVI so that the output can be streamed on the internet
- AL membership model:
- Avoiding paid membership because not sure if there is a large enough user-base for that model
- Anybody is welcome to come by on Sundays
- Want to get people involved and educated in using these scientific instruments
- Goal is to build a community of mutual support and information
- Looking into grant funding, depending on requirements from funders
- Part of the charter is a recycling operation for lab equipment
- Plan is to process donations, rehabilitate gear that is worthwhile, and sell surplus
- Have talked to freegeek about their experience with this
- If you want to take part or check it out, people are usually around on Sundays.
- Have chaos hours - if somebody is in the space, come by and they'll let you in
- RFID tag access system provides up-to-date info of availability
- Co-located with a metal-working shop (Chicago Metal)
- Those folks have a waterjet with a 55 x 100" bed]
- Contact the analytics lounge at [their website]
- Vote passes with 44 in favor, 0 against. 46 votes cast.
- 10 full members attended the vote.
- 37 full members voted by proxy.
Thanks to those who gave the tour! I missed exactly who all did that - Lyn, Shelly, and at least one more person.