Meeting Notes 2016-05-03
|<< Meeting Notes 2016-04-26||2016 Meetings||Meeting Notes 2016-05-10 >>|
- Intro to PS1 and what we're about.
- Let new members and visitors intro themselves.
- Pick 2 random people to introduce themselves.
- Introduce the Board and Area Hosts
- Go over things that need doing around the space.
- Awesome call outs
- Tell me about What You Hack
For extended discussions, we may take stack and borrow from MIBS Rules#Meeting Procedures.
Intro to PS1
New People (name - where did you hear about us - what do you make/hack)
- Josh | Likes to make bicycle things | found out about us online
- Regan | engineering kind of person | found out about us online too
- Tony | found out about PS1 from a friend | interested in 3D printing, 3D modeling & design, casting
Two Random Members
- Shelly | googled hackerspaces to find us | working on papier-mache dragon heard, hosted cooking and gardening events
- Brian | got inspired at Burning Man to find a hackerspace, camping with somebody from the Seattle hackerspace, decided to find one in Chicago | putting lights on thing / light-based art
Board and Area Hosts
- Justin - President
- Jennie - Vice-president
- Lyn - Director at Purple
- Brian - Treasurer
- Dave - CTO
- Simon - Secretary
- Ray (PR) & Michael (at large) are downstairs
- Anna - Electronics Area Host
- Erik - General Area Host
- Ron - Hot Metals Area Host
Things that need doing around the space
- Electric for compressor needs to be taken care of - and will be tonight
- Lubrication system for horizontal mill in cold metals needs to be assembled, Dean picked up all the parts
- Clean up after yourself:
- Sweep the shop
- Put away tools
- Take out the trash
- Empty the dishwasher when it's clean
- Don't give out the door code
- No nasty goos down the drain
- Lyn for running 501c3 party
- Shelly and Gerald for helping clean the kitchen
- Shelly for making awesome cake for the party
- Jennie for helping clean the safe
- Andrew for general tool cleanup in the shop & adding dampening to the dust collector
- Ray for a big group laser authorization
What have you been hacking
- Patrick - fixing up the powerwheel for the power racing series. Race coming up in SF in three weeks.
- Currently tops out around 20 mph
- Shelly did the cover art and art for a game - RAID: Random Adventures In Dungeons - a traveling dungeon game
- Jay is working on a wind power generator
- Brian is making a cosplay nixie tube device based on Stein's Gate
- If anybody needs taller nixie tubes, Brian has a good source in Ukraine
- Northside Mini-Maker's Faire
- This Saturday, 10 - 4 (but show up earlier to help volunteer)
- We need volunteers to help teach folks to make noise-makers
- And bring projects you want to show off at the maker faire
- Simon, Will, Shelly and other folks will be there too
- Email Justin to let him know you'll be volunteering
- 300 Seconds of Fame is next Tuesday after the member meeting
- 300_Seconds_of_fame - sign up here to talk or email Justing or Lyn
- Analog Game Night is Saturday from 5 pm until late
- Lockpicking - 8pm Wednesday in the lounge
- Beginners welcome!
- Python Office Hours - Wednesday at 7 pm in electronics - open to newbies and experts alike
- May the 4th (plus 10) be with you is on MAY 14 for Star Wars
- Not-Exclusively-Raspberry-Pi - Monday May 9, 7 pm in electronics
- Dr. Elliot Roos from Neurobionics lab will talk about mechanical and biomedical engineering & prosthetics and control systems
- Pumping Station One band - come play instruments, well or poorly, tomorrow, Wednesday at 7 in the loading dock
- There is an upcoming vote about subsidizing member attendees for ally skills workshop at PS1
- Workshop will take place June 10 at 6 pm, regardless.
- Vote is to sponsor fees for a up to 25 people.
- Existentialism discussion group is this Friday from 7-9
- How do you get authorized on all the equipment?
- Best way to find out is to look at the wiki page for the equipment; that should have details about how to get authorized
- Also check calendar and mailing
- Do the tools get calibrated?
- Generally yes, though not on a set schedule. Depends somewhat on the tool.
- If there's something you think needs to get calibrated, you can do it or organize to get it done.
- What kind of equipment do we have?
- Electronics, arts and crafts, wood shop, machine shop, hot metals, CNC tools, kitchen, jewelry-making
- No longer have the Electron Microscope; it was donated to our friends at the Analytics Lounge
- Analytics Lounge
- How is the organization supported?
- Entirely by membership dues
- Become a member
- Do we have manuals for equipment?
- Usually we have manuals and information on the wiki
- We're all volunteers; nobody is paid to update things. But you can fix things if they need fixing.
- Is there a cleaning service?
- Yes, periodically, but mostly all cleaning is done by members cleaning up after themselves
- Does anybody have any other questions?
- Do we get to sing our song?
Who wants to give a tour?
- Ron - thank you Ron for giving the tour!