Meeting Notes 2016-05-17
|<< Meeting Notes 2016-05-10||2016 Meetings||Meeting Notes 2016-05-24 >>|
- Intro to PS1 and what we're about.
- Let new members and visitors intro themselves.
- Pick 2 random people to introduce themselves.
- Introduce the Board and Area Hosts
- Go over things that need doing around the space.
- Recycle electronics and other waste from limbo.
- Awesome call outs
- Jay Hopkins----Accepting the propane delivery that arrived earlier than expected.
- Tell me about What You Hack
For extended discussions, we may take stack and borrow from MIBS Rules#Meeting Procedures.
Intro to PS1
New People (name - where did you hear about us - what do you make/hack)
- Pat | works on metal | learned about us from metal shop
- Ashley | Ceramics, metal, wood, want to use laser cut | learned about from Gerald
- Nick | working with wood | found us online
- Santiago | Recommended by woodshops, works with CNC wood sculptures, starting a master's program at UIC art &tech
- Rachel | LEDS with lego using conductive tape, educational projects | learned about us from workshop 88, maker space in Glenellen
- Ian | software programming, ideas for projects | came for a tour years agom didn't get to signing up, now he's doing it
- Anh | BBQ,, broke sunglasses and fixed them | went to Milwaukee maker's space, volunteered at Madison maker faire
- Christine | Wearable technology, electronics etc. | learned about from Jesse
- Sam | took Jesse's electronics course at Columbia, does woodworking | heard about us awhile ago, third time checking us out
- Josh | visited in the old space | used the 3D printer at the library last week, does python programming, 3D apps, web development
Two Random Members
- Shay | chainmail, stained glass, wood, weaving and textiles, sew leather, learning about metals, dabbling in coding | found PS1 when looking for a table saw when building an indoor zeppelin
- Jesse | member since 2011 | teach electronics at Columbia College, plays with mini machines, teach electronics workshops, interested in audio-related work
Board and Area Hosts
- Justin - President
- Jennie - Vice-president
- Ray - PR Director
- Michael - Director at large
- Brian - Treasurer
- Lyn - Director at Purple
- Simon - Secretary
- Anna - Electronics Area Host
- Andrew - CNC Area Host
- Erik - General Area host
- Ron - Hot metals Area Host
Things that need doing around the space
- If you're going to use the welders or the forge, close the cylinders when you're done
- Otherwise, the cylinders run dry and cost money
- Recycle electronics and other waste from limbo
- Don't bring things in to put into limbo
- Keep the dock clear - especially on Wednesday and Thursday this week
- Please empty the trash - but don't overfill the dumpster!
- If the lid will not close, waste management will not take our trash
- Remember to empty dust collectors before you use shop equipment
- Two basins collecting dust- one by planer and one by dust collector
- Check before your job, because if they get full, dust backs up and ruins everything
- Empty the rolling shopvac too!
- We need some help with IT projects for PS1 - email Doorman Dave for more details
- Clean up your dishes. If dishwasher is full, run it. If clean, empty dishwasher.
- Michael pulled a year's worth of cruft from limbo and got rid of it
- Jay for receiving propane delivery
- Andy for helping people with woodshop projects and going above and beyond authorizations
- Justin et al for Maker Faire
- Lyn for Star Wars party
- Andy L for coming in for woodshop authorization when there was a mixup and it wasn't his week
- Lyn for her loom band workshop
- Priscilla for putting on sewing class
- Adriana for coloring the sign
- Ray for laser authorization
What have you been hacking
- Shelly did illustrations for a game and brought it in to share
- One copy will be donated to PS1
- Ron is programming an Amazon dash button to make gas magically appear
- Jesse's giant soldering project is going to be showing at Woman Made Gallery
- Opens on Friday, May 27 from 6 - 8 pm
- Josh got his BFA in music composition and technology
- Fusion360 meetup is tomorrow night - 7 9:30
- Next Wednesday, May 25th - RWilo Innovation Showcase will be here with people from fabrication industries and makers
- Expect 35-70 people from outside PS1 will be here
- Extruder Party, June 4 - bring your 3D printer and print something. If it's broken, we'll try to fix it. Prizes! Excitement!
- It's free to come, raffle is a fundraiser for PS1 in general, donations are appreciated
- Community Access Jam Office Hours (CAJOO!) is tomorrow, 7 pm
- No skill necessary. come make some noise with us
- Python Office Hours tomorrow, 7 pm
- Bring your project, all levels welcome
- Analog game night is Saturday, May 21 at 5 pm
- Buccaneer's Galley demo of hangover breakfast - Saturday May 28 - vegan waffles and biscuits and gravy
- Beer Church - Sunday, 12:30ish
- Brewing group - will be brewing, tasting
- No experience necessary
- Where can I access a kiln?
- Chicago park district has two
- We have a kiln downstairs
- It needs power and a safe zone to operate
- It also needs a wiki page, so please make one
- When are our garbage pickups?
- Monday, Wednesday, and Friday
- How do I sign up for hot metal authorizations?
- Come by after member meeting
- Does anybody have experience rebuilding cordless tool battery pack?
- Advice from the floor is that it's not worth it
- How is tool use scheduled?
- It's not. Generally communicate with the people using the tools. It's good to bring more than one project
- The orientation for new members has information too that answers similar question
- How often are orientations?
- Every fourth Sunday
- Vote passes - 37 in favor, 1 opposed, 7 abstaining
- When is the workshop?
- June 10
- Why subsidized by PS1?
- To encourage a more inclusive community
- How many people have expressed interest in the workshop?
- Not sure - signups have not gone out
- About a dozen hands went up to express interest when the question was put to the group
- Is the workshop open to the public?
- Yes, but we will not subsidize others
- At least 12-14 spots reserved by PS1 members
- Is this person legit?
Who wants to give a tour?
Thanks to Ron for giving a tour!