Meeting Notes 2016-06-21
|<< Meeting Notes 2016-06-14||2016 Meetings||Meeting Notes 2016-06-28 >>|
- Intro to PS1 and what we're about.
- Let new members and visitors intro themselves.
- Pick 2 random people to introduce themselves.
- Introduce the Board and Area Hosts
- Go over things that need doing around the space.
- Awesome call outs
- Tell me about What You Hack
For extended discussions, we may take stack and borrow from MIBS Rules#Meeting Procedures.
Intro to PS1
New People (name - where did you hear about us - what do you make/hack)
- Ed | interested in bicycles | saw us in Make Magazine, checked out the website
- Gabe | interested in robotics and woodworking and everything technology | learned about the space at Defcon
- John | visiting from Hive One Three in Cincinnati | works on electronics, woodworking, metal-working | learned about this from Eric Stein
- Frederick | interested in metalwork, learning how to braze | coworker is a member (Art)
- Caroline | designer & artist working with wood | looking to use some tools
Two Random Members
Kevin | member about 2.5 years ago, now it's time to return, interested in demolishing and rebuilding new space, hears there's lots of 3D printers and | learned about PS1 through Reddit
Deanna | Game night, wood tools, etc. | Learned through a Chicago events list
Board and Area Hosts
- Justin - President
- Simon - Secretary
- Lyn - Director of Purple & Director of Wild Events
- Anna - Electronics Area Host
- Shae - Tool Cage Area Host
- Ron - Hot Metals Area Host
- Andrew - CNC Area Host
Things that need doing around the space
- Do your dishes!
- Hot Metals is the dirtiest part of the entire shop! Congratulations!
- But actually let's clean it up.
- Keep stuff out of the red marked fire lane in the woodshop
- Fix the Tardis
- Ron is on it!
- Empty the dust collector(s)
- Refill the paper towel holders
- Bathroom supplies are in the safe in the lounge
- Shae for getting all his receipts in for the tool cage & Ron for being awesome with receipts in general.
- Peter figured out how to make a watermelon slushie from a coathanger and a drill.
What have you been hacking
- Shelly is raising a caterpillar
- Ken & Andrew have been working on the power racing cars
- Gabe built a double-decker couch
- Shae is helping with ERP planning, backend coding & database maintenance, updated database from 12,000 lines to 21,000 with only one error.
- Aushra made a cement candleholder, cut the mold with cardboard, cast in cement
- John tried to do combined raster and vector cuts on laser cutter with AutoCad, found it is never going to work
- Andrew has been adding an extruder to the ShopBot to 3D print huge things
- Bike Night is tomorrow at 8 pm
- Shelly will teach a hypertufa class in mid-late July - making lightweight pots
- Keep an eye out for a future announcement
- Tau Day is next Tuesday
- It's pi*2, so bring two pies! Or one pie and something associated with pies.
- Basic woodshop class is in progress; Ken will announce dates
- Congratulations to Eric Beauchamp, our new woodshop area host
- Woodshop authorizer positions will open up
- What is Shelly doing with all the basil leaves?
- Making pesto!
- Do you give tours after the meeting?
- Yep, it's going to happen in a few minutes.
- Would the contractor be installing the materials?
- Can we add zones?
- Not sure - ask Michael Skilton
- If there's extra money from the vote, it would be nice to add zones
- Who is pulling the permits?
- Will this delay us moving into the new space?
- Good question, not sure
- Ken's guess is it would be 2-3 days max for swapout, and space is usable at night (lights are on)
- Regardless, if there are not lights, we would not move into the space, so this work needs to happen
- Is there a schedule?
- Not yet, no contract yet
- What is the payback time?
- Estimated at 1.42 years, based on 8.5 hours per day (3,120 hours a day)
- Our usage is probably higher, so payback time would be shorther
- Even if it's twice as long as this estimate from the contractor, our lease is for five years.
- Payback is based on the $2500 amount; if landlord chips in the up to $1000 promised, payback could be faster
- Issue passes, 38 votes in favor, 0 against, 0 abstain
Who wants to give a tour?
- Thanks Lyn for giving a tour!