Meeting Notes 2016-06-28
|<< Meeting Notes 2016-06-21||2016 Meetings||Meeting Notes 2016-07-05 >>|
- Intro to PS1 and what we're about.
- Let new members and visitors intro themselves.
- Pick 2 random people to introduce themselves.
- Introduce the Board and Area Hosts
- Go over things that need doing around the space.
- Awesome call outs
- Tell me about What You Hack
For extended discussions, we may take stack and borrow from MIBS Rules#Meeting Procedures.
Intro to PS1
New People (name - where did you hear about us - what do you make/hack)
- Caroline - wants to make lasercut 3D objects, has been using the library maker spaces - found out about us through a talk about Lost Arts
- Garrett - makes furniture and random things - heard about this from a coworker, Drew
- Philippe - Does Electronics - learned about the space from Mariana
- Mariana - student from Brazil here on exchange until end of July - interested in creating a makerspace in her home community
- Alex - uses CNC, lasers, and welding - googled "Makerspace"
- McTavish - Carpentry, tech theatre background - googled "Hackerspace Chicago"
- Rob - Art & Furniture - heard about us from the Lincoln Park Cultural Center Woodshop, Steve there recommended us.,
- Emily - Artist, working in sound
- Mike - woodworking and learning about metalworking, maybe electronics - learned about this from a coworker, Lauren
- Catsy - code, wants to work on 3D printers, laser and woodshop stuff, been hearing about PS1 for years
Two Random Members
- Will - member for 8 months, PS1 is great, working on a whiteboard and siphoning gas, developing a vacuum pump to siphon oil out of his car
- Lyn - making some Android Apps wth App Inventor, likes to make textiles and clothing, artsy stuff like rubber band cellphone cases - found us when looking for a 3D printer in 2013
Board and Area Hosts
- Justin - President
- Jennie - Vice President
- Lyn - Director at Purple & Wild Events
- Ray - PR director
- Simon - Secretary
- Anna - Electronics Area Host
- Dean - Cold Metals Area Host
- Andrew - CNC Area Host
- Erik - General Area Host
Things that need doing around the space
- Take out the trash
- Put away tools in the shop
- Clean up the dishes
- Paint fun things on the walls
- Jennie, Andrew, Erin, and Carlos - for going to Kansas City Maker Faire and driving the car
- Ken for working on the bluesmobile
- Gerald for doing the dishes on Friday
- Lyn for getting skin markers for Jennie
- Lyn for putting on another wild party - tonight!
What have you been hacking
- McTavish - using a library to *somethingsomethingmotorcycledrivingbysomething* shell scripts
- Lyn hacked a pair of pants
- Shelly has been raising caterpillars - 3 cocoons, (2 black swallowtails, 1 gulf pghdsdydae), and 1 furry unknown caterpillar
- Shelly made a cage for the caterpillars with the laser cutter
- Andrew & crew built a watercooling system for the Power Racing Series
- Power Racing team took 3rd and 5th in races at the event in Kansas City
- Shiny bronze metal is hanging in the lounge for everybody to appreciate
- Next race is in Detroit the last weekend of July...
- and Milwaukee in September!
- Hypertufa and Hearty Succulents class, Saturday, July 9, 11-1
- Come play with concrete, plants, and make planters for those plants, run by Shelly
- Machine Shop Book Club meets August 25
- "How to Run a Lathe"
- There may be a pdf of the book on the mailing list
- Buccaneer's Galley, Saturday, July 9, 5 - 8 pm
- Analog Game Night is Saturday, 5 pm until late
- CAJOO - Cable Access Jam Office Hours - Wednesday 7-9 pm - come play instruments
- Looking for volunteer authorizers for the woodshop and hot metals - get a free starving hacker membership
- More info here
- email email@example.com with details about why you think you would be a good fit
- Due Sunday, July 3 at 11:59 PM
- Python Office Hours - Wednesday, 7-9 pm - if you want help, want to work on a project, or
- Two votes are being discussed on the mailing list - pipe in with your input if you have thoughts about hiring cleaning service or buying a CNC plasma cutter
- What is the state of the manual Bridgeport?
- Usable, slightly less precise than usual
- There was a burr in the spindle, quill may or may not have been messed up
- How can I get authorized?
- JP just posted about authorizations later in July
- Are authorizations for Hot Metals and Woodshop authorizations still on?
- Check the calendar, a quick look seems like it's up to daten
- Suggestions for moving wood without a car?
- Rent a truck, check delivery fee, post on the list to see if anybody wants to team up
Who wants to give a tour?
- Thanks to Shelly for giving a tour