Meeting Notes 2017-01-03
|<< Meeting Notes 2016-12-27||2017 Meetings||Meeting Notes 2017-01-10 >>|
- Intro to PS1 and what we're about.
- Let new members and visitors intro themselves.
- Pick 2 random people to introduce themselves.
- Introduce the Board and Area Hosts
- Go over things that need doing around the space.
- Awesome call outs
- Tell me about What You Hack
For extended discussions, we may take stack and borrow from MIBS Rules#Meeting Procedures.
Intro to PS1
New People (name - where did you hear about us - what do you make/hack)
- Mark | product designer | has a 3D printer, but no woodshop | found out about us through word of mouth, was member at catalyze |
- Cory | builds things out of wood, codes in swift and C++ | found out about us through codeworkers
- Bill | dabbles in everything from electronics to software, cars, hydroponics, wood, metalworking, but not brain surgery | found us on meetup
- Dennis | makes furniture | found us on Google by typing in makerspace
- Hadley | hot meals, blacksmithing | googled forges in Chicago |
- Maddy | build large-scale props and costumes | found about us from Quinn
- Ed | tinkers with computers | was a hackerspace member in Texas | would like to learn about CNC machines
- Camron | new to Chicago, background in physics and natural science | automated greenhouses
- Larry | background in electronics, woodworking, metalworking | came with David
- David | found us through makezine.com | dabble in everything, interested in electronics and metalworking
- Mike | found us through a friend | thinking about rebuilding a go-kart
- Andy | architectural background, makes furniture, homebrewer, metalworking interest | found us on reddit
- Max | woodworking, software, electronics | found us through coworker
Two Random Members
- Jenny | software testing | visited sector 67 in Madison, then found us
- Brian | art director | woodworking and pipeholding | found us looking for a laser cutter | member since January 1
Board and Area Hosts
- Justin - President
- Jennie - Vice-President
- Simon - Secretary
- Lyn - Director at Purple and Willld Events
- Erik - General Area Host
- Dean - Cold Metals Area Host
Things that need doing around the space
- Make nominations for the board!
- Take out the garbage, clean up after yourself, do not overfill the dumpster!!
- Help Ken with electrical work, come pull cable! No expertise necessary.
- Help the area hosts with the move
- Shellie for giving the arts and crafts area a huge makeover!!
- Also her army of anonymous helpers who we would love to call out but nobody at the meeting right now knows who you are, sorry!
- Maybe Jonathan Bisson, Lyn, Jennie? And other folks? Y'all are awesome.
- Jennie for donating pizzas for the NYE gathering
- Lyn for organizing the NYE party
- Erik for putting up cable management for lounge 2.0 projector
- Ken for all of his awesome electrical work
- Ken again, just because he's been doing a ton of work and we owe him a few
- Also Ken.
What have you been hacking
- Lyn dying clothes purple
- Making a wood bluetooth speaker
- Erik finished hanging sink in bathroom
- Turning playing cards into circuit boards
- Ed has been hacking a CCD camera, port scanning to find open ports (What are 8000, 9002?)
- David used housing insulation chucked on a drill press as a lathe with a skateboard wheel as an endstop, and turned a foam cannon
- Bill has been making a car remote controlled
- Lockpicking from 8pm onwards on Wednesday in the lounge. Come pick locks and drink beer and talk locks.
- NASA 2017 Space Apps Hackathon Organizing Group - Saturday 1-3
- We're trying to host the NASA hackathon. Grand prize hackathon winners get to go to a NASA launch.
- Bike Night - Wednesday, 8 pm - come work on bikes
- Door codes changed. Start learning the new one. If you don't have the new code, email firstname.lastname@example.org
- Wikignomes Tool Time - Saturday at noon
- Painting workshop on 1/14
- Cybersecurity for organizers - Monday at 7 pm
- Elections for board of directors are on January 17th - we need more nominations, due January 10.
- We have a vote tonight, stick around to vote
- We need a cold metal authorizer volunteer!
- Check out http://bit.ly/ps1volauth to learn more about the responsibilities of being a volunteer authorizer.
- Email email@example.com
- How do new people get their ID's checked?
- Come back after the tour
- Do you have 3D printers?
- What plastics are the printers set up for?
- ABS, PLA,
- Can you bring your own?
- Please do so.
- Why does my car battery keep dying?
- Lots of helpful answers.
- I'm going to be traveling for the next month, but I want to join. What should I do?
- Join next month. Come to a Tuesday meeting to get your ID checked.
- Do we have to get trained on things to use them?
- Yes - you need to get authorizations for anything more dangerous than a soldering iron.
- Check the calendar and wiki pages for authorizations
- Does woodshop authorization cover a number of tools?
- Yep, but not the lathe.
- If an authorization isn't listed, email the list with your availability
- What are the different tiers of membership?
- $40 Starving Hacker & $70 Full Membership, which comes with voting rights and storage space
- How big are the storage shelves?
- About yay big.
- Quorum not met. We'll try again in two weeks.
Who wants to give a tour?