Meeting Notes 2017-01-24
|<< Meeting Notes 2017-01-17||2017 Meetings||Meeting Notes 2017-01-31 >>|
- 1 Agenda
- 2 Minutes
- Intro to PS1 and what we're about.
- Let new members and visitors intro themselves.
- Pick 2 random people to introduce themselves.
- Introduce the Board and Area Hosts
- Go over things that need doing around the space.
- Awesome call outs
- Tell me about What You Hack
For extended discussions, we may take stack and borrow from MIBS Rules#Meeting Procedures.
Intro to PS1
Board and Area Hosts
- Andrew - President
- Jennie - Vice President
- Ed - Director at Large
- Jonathan - CTO
- Simon - Secretary
- Ray - PR Director
- Ron - Hot Metals Area Host
- Aushra - Small Metals Area Host
- Erik - General Area Host
- Anna - Electronics Area Host
New People (name - where did you hear about us - what do you make/hack)
- Srenton - trying to start a makerspace in NW Indiana in Maribel
- Nathan - Came to check out fabrication and machining
- Ben - knife-making and metal-working
- Heather - woodworking
- Victoria - Programming and crafting
- Dennis - computers, saw the hacker space in San Antonio
- Davy - lives nearby
- Paul - interested in welding and woodworking
What would you want to talk about at a member meeting?
- Hear a State of the Union
- Account levels, what the board is up to, etc.
- Meeting once a week is a lot. We might get more people coming in if it were closer to once a month
- "Hi, this is who we are, this is what we do, and here are contact points for new members"
- Opportunity to share what people have been making and doing
- I like having the new people in the meeting to share what they like and what they're up to, and so that we can share what we've been up to.
- The meeting was originally a member's meeting, then people started bringing friends and that became the focus
- We used to go through the shop and say "the meeting is about to start"
- Meeting is good for fellowship.
- The meeting became a chance for people to connect, glue of the community
- The meeting as it stands is an open house.
- We could have the member meeting and the open house alternate weeks.
- Separate open house puts the focus for new people on using the space, less of who we are.
- Not everyone who comes to check out the space wants an orientation.
- Not everyone who comes to check out the space wants to sit through a member meeting.
- It's harder to get people to come when the invitation is not "come every Tuesday," so an open house that's every other week might cut down on people coming.
- Need to get new people comfortable with both meetings - how can we make them feel comfortable in the member meeting too?
- Introducing new people takes too long, I want to vote before those things happen.
- I wouldn't have joined if the meetings were split.
- We don't have the people here who don't come to meetings...
Things that need doing around the space
- Clear a path to the new woodshop from the old woodshop - there's a pile of wood in the way
- Daron is goin got do that after the meeting with anybody who wants to help
- We need an espresso / cappucino machine in the kitchen
- It's in the works, but waiting until the buildout.
- Change the message when a password has expired to tell you that your
- Jesse for making awesome hats for the Women's March
- Michael for putting doors on the lounge!!!
- Lyn for arranging Sunday work party
- All the people (Burton, Ken, Andrew, Ron, Eric, Erik, and a bunch of other people) who came on Sunday to move things
- The new board for taking on the project of keeping this place sane.
What have you been hacking
- Shelly made some foxes
- Will is looking forward to assembling a gaming table
- Andrew and some other PS1 folks are buying Milwaukee Maker Space's robot arm and considering an exhibit for the maker faire
- Jonathan extended instructions for posting to the blog - so go post to the blog
- Lyn has a list of ten things to do in the woodshop, come join at 7:30 Wednesday to find out what they are and also help out
- Followed by Cleanup Party, Sunday at 2 pm
- Movie Night: showing of "The Internet's Own Boy," a documentary about Aaron Swartz Sunday at 3 pm
- Come discuss the PS1 presence at the Maker Faire: 6:30 Wednesday, hosted by Justin
- Analog game night, Saturday at 5 pm
- Woodshop Authorizations by Ken are starting back up - Monday at 7 pm
- Ron started a PS1 Flickr Group, wants to integrate it on the entryway screen
- NERP - Not Exclusively Raspberry Pi - Motors! Motor-control system! Math! (No math required.) Presentation by Jerry Morrow.
- Potluck on this coming Tuesday. Bring food, eat food!
- Chicago Maker Faire is happening April 22-23
- Could we have an online voting system?
- Jonathan thinking about it, though we have to ensure
- Who is interested in planning the PS1 presence at the Maker Faire?
- Andrew, Ken, Will, Jennie
- How can I get started?
- Authorizations and authorizers are a good place to start. Ask anybody in the shop, people are generally happy to help.
- Or send out a message on the mailing list.
Who wants to give a tour?