Meeting Notes 2017-01-24

From Pumping Station: One Wiki
Jump to: navigation, search


Meeting Minutes
<< Meeting Notes 2017-01-17 2017 Meetings Meeting Notes 2017-01-31 >>


Agenda

  • Intro to PS1 and what we're about.
  • Let new members and visitors intro themselves.
  • Pick 2 random people to introduce themselves.
  • Introduce the Board and Area Hosts
  • Go over things that need doing around the space.
  • Awesome call outs
  • Tell me about What You Hack
  • Announcements
  • Questions
  • Votes
  • Tour

For extended discussions, we may take stack and borrow from MIBS Rules#Meeting Procedures.

Minutes

Intro to PS1

Bylaws#Purpose

Introductions

Board and Area Hosts

  • Andrew - President
  • Jennie - Vice President
  • Ed - Director at Large
  • Jonathan - CTO
  • Simon - Secretary
  • Ray - PR Director
  • Ron - Hot Metals Area Host
  • Aushra - Small Metals Area Host
  • Erik - General Area Host
  • Anna - Electronics Area Host

New People

New People (name - where did you hear about us - what do you make/hack)

  • Srenton - trying to start a makerspace in NW Indiana in Maribel
  • Nathan - Came to check out fabrication and machining
  • Ben - knife-making and metal-working
  • Heather - woodworking
  • Victoria - Programming and crafting
  • Dennis - computers, saw the hacker space in San Antonio
  • Davy - lives nearby
  • Paul - interested in welding and woodworking

What would you want to talk about at a member meeting?

  • Hear a State of the Union
    • Account levels, what the board is up to, etc.
  • Meeting once a week is a lot. We might get more people coming in if it were closer to once a month
  • "Hi, this is who we are, this is what we do, and here are contact points for new members"
  • Opportunity to share what people have been making and doing
  • I like having the new people in the meeting to share what they like and what they're up to, and so that we can share what we've been up to.
  • The meeting was originally a member's meeting, then people started bringing friends and that became the focus
  • We used to go through the shop and say "the meeting is about to start"
  • Meeting is good for fellowship.
  • The meeting became a chance for people to connect, glue of the community
  • The meeting as it stands is an open house.
  • We could have the member meeting and the open house alternate weeks.
  • Separate open house puts the focus for new people on using the space, less of who we are.
  • Not everyone who comes to check out the space wants an orientation.
  • Not everyone who comes to check out the space wants to sit through a member meeting.
  • It's harder to get people to come when the invitation is not "come every Tuesday," so an open house that's every other week might cut down on people coming.
  • Need to get new people comfortable with both meetings - how can we make them feel comfortable in the member meeting too?
  • Introducing new people takes too long, I want to vote before those things happen.
  • I wouldn't have joined if the meetings were split.
  • We don't have the people here who don't come to meetings...

Things that need doing around the space

  • Clear a path to the new woodshop from the old woodshop - there's a pile of wood in the way
    • Daron is goin got do that after the meeting with anybody who wants to help
  • We need an espresso / cappucino machine in the kitchen
    • It's in the works, but waiting until the buildout.
  • Change the message when a password has expired to tell you that your

Awesome Callouts

  • Jesse for making awesome hats for the Women's March
  • Michael for putting doors on the lounge!!!
  • Lyn for arranging Sunday work party
  • All the people (Burton, Ken, Andrew, Ron, Eric, Erik, and a bunch of other people) who came on Sunday to move things
  • The new board for taking on the project of keeping this place sane.

What have you been hacking

  • Shelly made some foxes
  • Will is looking forward to assembling a gaming table
  • Andrew and some other PS1 folks are buying Milwaukee Maker Space's robot arm and considering an exhibit for the maker faire
  • Jonathan extended instructions for posting to the blog - so go post to the blog

Announcements

  • Get-ready-for-the-big-maker-meeting-at-the-space-parties
    • Lyn has a list of ten things to do in the woodshop, come join at 7:30 Wednesday to find out what they are and also help out
    • Followed by Cleanup Party, Sunday at 2 pm
  • Movie Night: showing of "The Internet's Own Boy," a documentary about Aaron Swartz Sunday at 3 pm
  • Come discuss the PS1 presence at the Maker Faire: 6:30 Wednesday, hosted by Justin
  • Analog game night, Saturday at 5 pm
  • Woodshop Authorizations by Ken are starting back up - Monday at 7 pm
  • Ron started a PS1 Flickr Group, wants to integrate it on the entryway screen
  • NERP - Not Exclusively Raspberry Pi - Motors! Motor-control system! Math! (No math required.) Presentation by Jerry Morrow.
  • Potluck on this coming Tuesday. Bring food, eat food!
  • Chicago Maker Faire is happening April 22-23
    • Call for Makers: [1], first round closes February 17, second round closes March 3
    • February 7 - Maker Town Hall is happening at PS1
      • Get tickets [[2]]

Questions

  • Could we have an online voting system?
    • Jonathan thinking about it, though we have to ensure
  • Who is interested in planning the PS1 presence at the Maker Faire?
    • Andrew, Ken, Will, Jennie
  • How can I get started?
    • Authorizations and authorizers are a good place to start. Ask anybody in the shop, people are generally happy to help.
    • Or send out a message on the mailing list.

Votes

Tour

Who wants to give a tour?