Meeting Notes 2017-05-23
|<< Meeting Notes 2017-05-16||2017 Meetings||Meeting Notes 2017-05-30 >>|
- 1 Agenda
- 2 Minutes
- 2.1 Welcome
- 2.2 Updates and Discussion
- 2.2.1 Front Door Travails
- 2.2.2 Tool Organizing
- 2.2.3 Tidy Space
- 2.2.4 Electronics Office Hours
- 2.2.5 Classes and interest groups
- 2.2.6 What if I see someone doing something unsafe at PS:One?
- 2.2.7 Nonviolent Communication Discussion Group
- 2.2.8 Extension Springs
- 2.2.9 Wax casting classes begin 5/31
- 2.2.10 Call for t-shirt designs
- New people go upstairs for an orientation and a tour
- Discussion continues downstairs
- Andrew shared a welcome to the group.
- Board members and area hosts raised their hands.
- New members went upstairs for a presentation about PS:One and a tour.
Updates and Discussion
Front Door Travails
- Front door lock died.
- Thanks to Erik, Andrew, Matt, Greg D., and Ron for the work replacing, and Ray for posting information on the group.
- New keypad is in place, and RFID is in process.
- Ron is working on transitioning people from the old RFID system to the new one.
- How can we get our RFID tags added?
- It's still a manual process.
- If anybody has experience wuith RFID, talk to Ron.
- Sam does! He'll help.
- Casey & Andrew organized tools for tool carts. Those are mostly organized now.
- Paul Clay made a caddy for tools in the woodshop.
- These people are awesome.
- Andrew will be proposing a vote for a rewritten Tidy Space.
- If you're interested in being a tidyspace deputy, contact an Area Host.
Electronics Office Hours
- We don't have an electronics office hours anymore.
- Let's have one!
- Anna supports anybody hosting an electronics office hour - they can get member points for doing so.
- How might we get a critical mass of people to hang out, solder, and work on projects?
- Maybe ask Andrew Sowa to host?
- Formalize a project for each event?
- Have kits available for purchase, anybody who shows up could buy a kit and solder.
- Aushra is signed up for an EdX course on electronics - maybe she could play the videos and folks could do the projects at electronics office hours.
- Aushra will do this at the next office hours (that isn't Memorial Day) - June 12
Classes and interest groups
Solar Panel Class Request
- Ella is interested in a solar panel class. Anybody want to teach it?
Video Game (creation of) interest group
- Video game interest group is meeting on Sundays
Forge (& swords?
- Sam wants someone to teach him to use the forge. Is anybody else interested in teaching or learning?
- This will likely involve swords. Maybe Ron will teach.
- How's the bitcoin group going?
- It's not hosted by PS:One, they use our space (though we're welcome to attend)
- Talk to Ray for more info or check the calendar and show up.
- Making composite parts (carbon fiber reinforced plastic) is cool.
Tool Tuneup Thursday
- Tool Tuneup Thursday: this Thursday, we'll work on the SawStop. Come join!
- Last few Thursdays have been full of cool tools
What if I see someone doing something unsafe at PS:One?
- Say something, politely.
- "Hey, do you need a hand?" "Can I show another way to do that?" - even "I learned a different way to do that. Can you tell me about that approach?" might open up the conversation.
- What if someone says they know what they're doing? (e.g. "I'm a professional carpenter.")
- Try appealing to their sense of community:
- "You may feel comfortable doing that, but consider whether it looks dangerous, or someone who is a novice might emulate you and get hurt.:"
- Try appealing to their sense of community:
- Milwaukee makerspace's discussion of this topic: https://wiki.milwaukeemakerspace.org/faq#whoa_i_see_someone_doing_something_that_doesn_t_look_safe_what_do_i_do
- "Hey, I am not sure that is the safest way to do that.”
- A script / example dialogue of how to talk to somebody would be helpful.
- A list of safety guidelines taped to the machine might help.
- If somebody dismisses your concerns, contact the area host and let them know.
- People frequently appreciate being shown better ways to do things.
Nonviolent Communication Discussion Group
- There's an incipient discussion club / book club about non-violent communication
- The book: "Non-violent Communication"
- Talk to Andrew / Simon, or just start reading the book / watching the YouTube videos / etc.
- Come talk to Jesse! She's interested in making weak ones.
Wax casting classes begin 5/31
- Lost wax casting class - session one:
- How to carve wax!
- Next Wednesday, May 31 - 7 pm
- Taught by Ella & Aushra
- Forthcoming classes: moldmaking, casting
Call for t-shirt designs
- Collect designs for a poll and future designs.
- Produce them at a summer barbecue event or somesuch