Mitsui Surface Grinder
|This tool is no longer at the space. Back to list of Equipment|
|Arrival Date||Late 2016|
Removed by owner
Repair and Setup
All repair needs to be coordinated with the area host.
Motor bearings were replaced, to great success. Ball ways and table are installed. Test grinds are showing good repeatability. A grit and light parts catcher is installed on the left hand side.
- Remove saddle
- Clean ways and check turcite for damage.
- Replace way wipers.
- Fix y-axis oil lines.
- Reinspect/regrind table and chuck.
- Clean Z ways.
- Replace Z way pleated covers.
- Install VFD.
- Develop an authorization plan.
- Set up dust collection.
The small electromagnetic sine chuck was mounted and ground in to less than a tenth on 2017-03-12.
After initial repair, diagnosis of further issues will come via a test grind.
- The table may need to be ground in.
- A mag chuck will need to be ground in and swept with an indicator.
- Five block test can be used as a rough diagnosis.
The table needs to be removed periodically to clean the grinding grit from the ways.
The table is heavy. We need a system for lifting the table off of the saddle. The engine hoist doesn't work well. Perhaps a ceiling supported crane would work.
- Remove the nut at the end of the cable on the right side under the table. Fasten a weight to the end of the cable to prevent the cable from unwinding on the capstan.
Moving the grinder
Never move the grinder without coordinating with Dean, the owner.
The two table ball cages need to be removed anytime the grinder is moved. This is necessary to prevent the races from Brinelling. To remove the ball cages, disconnect the X axis cable at each end of the table then prop up the ends of the table.