SOLIDWORKS for Pumping Station: One
- 1 Introduction & Restrictions
- 2 Training
- 3 Technical Information
- 4 Installation Best Practices
- 5 Installation Instructions
- 6 User Interface Tools
- 7 CAM Post Processor Installation Instructions
- 8 CAM Post Processor Links:
- 9 XPress Product Installation Instructions
Introduction & Restrictions
We have been provided FREE Educational SOLIDWORKS Student Standard for Makerspaces by Dassault Systemes. This software comes with the following restrictions:
- This is for noncommercial/hobbyist/educational use
- We cannot share this information on social media or to the public at large
- This is a yearly license basis, and as such may require updating your installation each year.
This license includes CAM Professional.
Register your license and create a SOLIDWORKS ID at My SOLIDWORKS and you will have access to many training files and learning pathways. Recommended courses are:
- CSWA Exam Prep Course - this will teach you how SOLIDWORKS functions for the majority of all use cases. It covers modeling basics, assembly basics, and evaluating.
- SOLIDWORKS File Management - SOLIDWORKS Assemblies have a unique reference structure
- SOLIDWORKS CAM, if you would like to learn to use the CNC machines, this is critical.
SOLIDWORKS is only available for the Windows operating system. System requirements are here.
Installation Best Practices
During the installation, SOLIDWORKS will want to install in C:\....SOLIDWORKS
INSTEAD DEFINE THE INSTALLATION LOCATION AS C:\....SOLIDWORKS 20XX
Indicating the year will make the upgrade process significantly smoother.
Custom File & Template Locations
When making custom templates or file locations, keep them in new folder locations and add them to SOLIDWORKS Using Options > System Options > File Locations. If you do not, they will be wiped on upgrades.
Ensure that your custom locations are backed up via Google Drive, DropBox, etc.
YOUR SERIAL NUMBERS WILL BE DISPLAYED ON THE DOWNLOAD PAGE. PRINT OR WRITE THEM DOWN FOR SAFEKEEPING.
- Navigate Here
- Click No (I already have a serial number question)
- SDK-ID: 921MAKER
- Choose 2020-2021 version
- During the download/installation process you will see the serial numbers on the screen.
- Please follow the instructions on the screen & best practices above.
User Interface Tools
SOLIDWORKS 2020 by default does not rotate the camera to face normal to new or edited sketches. This can be a pain. To change, click the Options gear at the top of the window. This will bring up the System Options menu (as well as Document Options if you have a file open).
About 1/4 of the way down, select "Sketch" and ensure that the top box "Auto-rotate view normal to sketch plane on sketch creation and sketch edit" is checked. In SOLIDWORKS 2021 this is the default option, so the new version in 2021 will not need this update.
CAM Post Processor Installation Instructions
SOLIDWORKS CAM post processors are stored by default at C:\ProgramData\SOLIDWORKS\SOLIDWORKS CAM [YEAR]\Posts.
Posts require BOTH a .ctl and .lng file. Some post processors may include supplementary files (e.g. .pinf) so please ensure that when installing a post processor that all required files are included.
CAM Post Processor Links:
- Tormach PCNC 1100
- ShopBot PRS Alpha 4896
XPress Product Installation Instructions