Space Plan Vote
- Mailing List Announcement: July 5, 2016
- Officially Proposed: July 5, 2016
- Voted on: July 12, 2016
- Discarded due to invalid proxy format:
The space planning committee has created 3 proposals for how the building will be used after we expand. https://drive.google.com/file/d/0B8OYIUv_jjoAU09teE1WamVtQnM/view?usp=sharing This vote will determine which of the 3 plans is preferred by the membership.
The 3 plans share these characteristics:
- Electronics - no change
- Graphics Arts and Textiles - expands to fill its current room
- Clean CNC (laser cutters & 3D printers) - move to what is currently the lounge
- The room to the right of our entryway (looking from Elston) becomes a lounge/small meeting room.
- No changes to our current space that require a building permit.
- Reasonable accommodations will be made to comply with the Americans with Disability Act (as advised by our attorney and architects).
Status of plans
Details of the plans are subject to change. New walls may be shifted to avoid obstacles and square footage of rooms may be adjusted to receive more favorable permit status. If significant changes are needed, the planning committee will consult with the membership before proceeding.
Plan 1: Woodworking and dusty CNC tools move to new space. Dust and noise are isolated from other areas with a wall. Close proximity to the loading dock allows for easy delivery of sheet goods and lumber. Hot metals moves to the front of the new space where through-the-roof ventilation is best. Cold metals and jewelry expand into the current woodshop.
Plan 2: Hot metals moves to the back of the new space. Opening the two big doors will give hot metals good ventilation. There is a smaller, but adequate, vent through the roof for welding and forge ventilation. Woodworking moves to the front of the new space. Dust and noise are isolated from other areas with a wall. Materials can be delivered through the front door on the Elston side of the new space. Cold metals and jewelry expand into the current woodshop.
Plan 3: Woodworking expands into the cold metals area. Cold and hot metals moves to the new side. This plan minimizes disruption of the woodshop and rework of the woodworking dust collection system, but the doesn't contain the dust. The kitchen, catwalk storage will still be dusty.
The May 1 move in date seems unlikely given that the lease has not been signed (4/10/16).
First do activities that will be impeded by having tools that are in the way. highest priority: paint walls in new space; remove partitions in new lounge, paint; add ventilation to clean CNC room, move clean CNC equipment; upgrade lighting; medium priority: lower priority:
Full members will determine the preferred space plan using instant-runoff voting. https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Instant-runoff_voting Voters will rank order the 4 options (3 plans plus 'none of the above'). Votes will be tallied using the method described in the above link.
- Round 1: plan 1 x, plan 2 x, plan 3 x, NOTA x
- Round 2: plan 1 x, plan 2 x, plan 3 x, NOTA x