→Workshop: update dead Sherline link
* [http://www.faqs.org/docs/electric/AC/AC_9.html Transformer basics] Transformers: Lessons In Electric Circuits -- Volume II Chapter 9
* [http://electronics.wisc-online.com/ Electromechanical Reference Page] A wide ranging site dealing with quite a few subjects.
=== Suppliers ===
==== Robotics ====
homeframes.html Robot City Workshop] Chicago’s robot store.
* [http://www.trossenrobotics.com/ Trossen Robotics] Robotics kits, parts and supplies. Also check out their line of unique [http://www.trossenrobotics.com/c/robot-force-sensor-fsr.aspx/ force and touch sensors]. Location: Downers Grove, IL
* [http://www.imagesco.com Images Scientific Instruments] Robotics and electronics. Check out the [http://www.imagesco.com/sensors/sensor-index.html various specialized sensors] they sell. Very speedy shipping. Location: Staten Island NY
== Free Stuff ==
freestorechicago.org/ Chicago Freestore] Periodic reoccurring free exchange store. Check website for current address and hours. Location: Chicago, IL
* [https://groups.freecycle.org/group/chicagofreecycle/posts/all Freecycle] chicago’s free stuff website. Mailing list membership required. Local chapters across the country.
* [http://chicago.craigslist.org/ Craigslist] Has a “Free” section oddly located in the “For Sale” section.
=== Reference ===
* [http://www.cosi.org/downloads/activities/simplemachines/sm1.html Simple machines (flash warning)] Flash animations of simple machines.
www.edheads.org/activities/simple- Machines/ Edhead's Simple Machine Tutorial] Learn about simple and compound machines while you explore the house and tool shed! Silly fun stuff!
* [http://www.enchantedlearning.com/physics/machines/Levers.shtml Levers: Simple Machines] Flash animations of various classes of levers. Levers, fulcrums and loads described and illustrated.
* [http://web.archive.org/web/20120326060509/http://synthetica.eng.uci.edu/~mccarthy/Linkages.html Linkage Animations (archive.org retrieval)] Flash animations of complex linkages.
* [http://www.technologystudent.com/cams/link1.htm Linkage Mechanisms] Common linkage examples.
* [http://www.flying-pig.com/mechanisms/index.html Mechanisms and Movement] Flash animations of simple machines, mechanisms and movements.
www. sdp-si.com/ D260/PDF/ part1.pdf The World Of Timing Belts] A complete primer on all things timing belt and timing belt related.
* [http://www.engineershandbook.com/ Mechanical Engineering Design Guide] The Engineer's Handbook: Tables, charts and formulas.
home. earthlink. net/ ~bazillion/ intro. html How To Make Springs] A complete spring making tutorial.
* [http://www.instructables.com/id/Make-your-own-springs-in-seconds/ Make your own springs]
=== Suppliers ===
default.aspx DPX Systems] Turn your DeWalt drill into a power drive to power other stuff like scooters, wheel chairs, hoists, toolboxes, etc. Location: Las Vegas, NV
* [http://jordanindustrial.com/ Jordan Industrial Supply] Heavy-duty hardware distributor. Location: Wheeling, IL
* [http://www.habasitusa.com/ Habasit Belting] Sells through distributors such as Motion Industries. If you are making a large tracked robot and need tracks they are your supplier.
* [http://www.voguefabricsstore.com Vogue Fabrics] One of the best fabric stores in the area, arguably one of the best in the Midwest. Wide selection of fabric for clothing and home decor. Also have corset-making supplies and a wide range of patterns from independent pattern companies. The store in Evanston on Main Street (near the Main St. CTA station) is better than the one on Roosevelt Road.
* [http://www.fishmansfabrics.com Fishman's Fabrics] High end fabric for clothing and home decor. These days the retail store is more of a showroom for their wholesale business so in many cases you are shopping from swatches, but still a good store. Just off Roosevelt Road east of the highway, near the Roosevelt Road Vogue Fabrics and Binny's South Loop.
main.asp ParaGear] Parachute fabrics and cords. Basically anything used on a parachute. Location: Skokie, IL* [ http://http://theleonardadlerco.com The Leonard Adler Company] "Sewn product construction necessities." Wondering where the local tailoring/alterations shop goes to get things like rolls of elastic, bolts of interfacing, and boxes of buttons? They almost certainly get it all from this warehouse at 3018 W. Montrose Ave. (just a few blocks east of Montrose & Kedzie). The company has been selling tailoring, dressmaking, and furrier supplies in Chicago since 1903. In many cases, what he has is much better and less expensive than the chain fabric stores. And he's local, so you don't even have to pay shipping.
* [http://misterzipper.com Jay Arbetman, Arbetman and Assoc.] also known as Chicago Wholesale Fabrics. 2256 West Grand, in Chicago. He represents a huge number of fabric manufacturers. Relatively low minimum order, less than ten yards in many cases. Also lots of sewing findings in addition to what Leonard Adler carries. Obviously a far better selection than the fabric chain stores, and he is often less expensive as well. But you will have to plan ahead, as most of it must be ordered. Also has PFD (prepared for dyeing) fabrics. If you are gearing up to start an Etsy shop and need fabric, this is the place to go.
* [http://www.otisoakley.com/ Otis-Oakley] — Sells scrap steel, as well as some new steel. Location: California Ave and Fulton St, Chicago
* [https://www.metalsdepot.com/index.phtml MetalsDepot] — A source for metals, all kinds and shapes, no minimums. Location: Winchester, KY
=== Paper ===
=== Wood ===
* [http://www.owlhardwood.com/ Owl Hardwood Lumber] — Rare and exotic woods, specialty woodworking supplies and kits. Location: See website for your nearest local retail store.
* [http://www.woodworld.com/ Wood World] — South on Elston. Expensive and unhelpful. Heavily picked over exotic and domestic hardwood. Last resort.
* [http://carstensmillworks.yolasite.com Carstens Millworks] — Sawyer in Warrenville offering kiln dried regional hardwoods.
/contact.html All American Reclaim]] — Reclaimed hardwood in Crystal Lake.
* [http://www.woodfinder.com/listings/012206.php Russell Mill] — Saw mill in Zion Illinois — salvage and reclaimed lumber, hardwood sawyer.
* [http://meyerslumber.com/ Meyers Woodworking and Lumber] — West Chicago sawyer — regional hardwoods.
* [http://www.horiganufp.com/ Horrigan Urban Forest Products] — Skokie — urban felled hardwoods
* [http://ghwoodworking-com.web4.tempwebsite.net/?page_id=24 GH Woodworking] — Wauconda sawyer — reclaimed urban hardwood.
=== Plastic ===
* [http://www.raycosignsupply.com Rayco Sign Supply] — roll vinyl for the use with the vinyl cutter, and other sign-making supplies. Location: Chicago
* [http://www.eagerplastics.com/cat.htm Eager Polymers] — Liquid thermosets: Silicones, epoxies, moldmaking, etc. Location: 48th St, Chicago
abbeyspecialties.com/ Abbey Specialties] — laserable acrylic, potentially other plastics and rubbers (talk to Tony) — PS:1's landlord — literally next door
== Reference ==
* [http://www.onlineconversion.com/ On Line Conversion] Convert just about anything to anything else. Over 5,000 units, and 50,000 conversions.
* [http://www.wise-uranium.org/rdcri.html Radiation Dose to Risk Converter] When you really, Really, REALLY mess up.
* [http://www.calcenstein.com/ CalcEnstein] Need a specific or unusual calculator?
* [http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/nicholson_files/Nicholson%20Guide%20To%20Filing%202006.pdf Nicholson File Information] Nicholson file guide to files and filing.
* [http://www.cooperhandtools.com/brands/nicholson_files/file_terminology.pdf Nicholson File Terminology] Nicholson File Terminology Guide
http://www.sherline.com/ resource.htm Sherline's Metalworking Resources and Hotlinks List] Reference material for miniature machining.
* [http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/index.php Shop Floor Talk Forum] A forum for all things metal and metal working.
* [http://bbs.homeshopmachinist.net/index.php The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS] A forum for all things metal and metal working.
Title (Links to Amazon.com), Author, ISBN, Description
* [http://www.lindsaybks.com/ Lindsay Technical Publications]. An amazing catalog of how to books from the turn of the century to modern technology.
* [http://www.knowledgepublications.com Knowledge Publications]. A lot of energy related books.