Supermax 25x2 Drum Sander
|Host Area||Wood Shop|
Aug 30 2018 Eric B installed new motor and starter capacitor..
DO NOT OPEN HOOD to push start as we did in recent past. Just push start button and adjust feed speed.
Stay tuned for more detailed instructions for use.
12/7/2019 feed conveyor belt is destroyed. quite worn belt was running off center and tore itself apart. replacement being ordered.
Authorization for this tool by authorized proctors only. Members not previously authorized must take the CANVAS course at https://canvas.pumpingstationone.org/courses/40 .
- Do not use if conveyor belt is not centered. Belts are expensive and will destroy themselves if they drift too far in either direction.
- For oily or dense woods (tropical hardwoods, etc), take only very light passes to prevent clogging the sandpaper.
- Always remove dried glue squeeze outs with a scraper or other tool before coming here.
- DO NOT USE unless glue has fully dried
- Use a belt cleaner occasionally to refresh the sandpaper
- Do not use to remove old finishes.
This sander features overload detection. If the machine detects too high a load, it will automatically slow down the feed. This saves wear and tear on the machine, but may cause burning of the workpiece if you cut too aggressively.
- The height adjustment on this machine is VERY aggressive. A full turn will raise the table by more than 2mm (a typical cut should be < .5mm). PLEASE USE A MAXIMUM OF 1/8 TURN OF THE HEIGHT WHEEL PER PASS!
- Make your first cuts with a very slow speed (10 or less). Once you are sure the load is OK you can gradually increase the speed on subsequent passes.
- When overload detection kicks in, a red light next to the speed control will turn on. IF YOU SEE THIS LIGHT, PLEASE REDUCE YOUR DEPTH OF CUT AND/OR FEED RATE!
- Like all of our other sanders, sleeves must be above the elbow, and no gloves should be worn. It's pretty easy to get pulled into the rollers.
- Sanding Capacity:
- Maximum Width (in): 25
- Minimum Length (in): 3-1/2
- Minimum Thickness (in): 1/32
- Drum Speed: 1740 RPM
- Dust Hood: 1000 CFM recommended
- How to Change Abrasive Wraps on a Drum Sander Supermax video. Short and sweet.
- Manufacturer's Page
- Owner's Manual
- Random Drum-Sander Thoughts Pretty good video of practical tips for using a drum sander.
List of Currently Authorized Users
Authorization for this tool by authorized proctors only. Members not previously authorized must take the CANVAS course at https://canvas.pumpingstationone.org/courses/40 records are kept in Wild Apricot under members' profiles