Difference between revisions of "Category:Cold Metals"
|Line 75:||Line 75:|
Revision as of 01:10, 28 March 2017
The Cold Metals Area is one of the Hosted Areas here at PS:One. The current Area Host is Dean Anderson.
|Area Host Contact Details|
|Office Hours:||Tuesday 8:30pm-11pm|
- Safety glasses with side shields are required when operating machines or when in the vicinity of operating machines.
- Gloves are not allowed when operating machines.
If you see someone using the equipment improperly, either show them how to do it right, or ask them to stop and seek certification. Notify the Area Host if anyone is abusing, damaging, or messing with the tools in an inappropriate fashion.
If the smoke/CO2 detector goes off, stop what you are doing. Do not shut it off and go back to work until you take a break for at least 15 minutes to be sure there aren't any harmful fumes.
- Safety third - But seriously, use at miminum the required safety gear for the tool you are using. Know where the closest fire extinguisher is as well as the first aid kit. And pay attention to what you are doing.
- Clean up after yourself - sweep, throw out little garbage bits, put large scrap pieces in the scrap storage locations.
- Label your projects - Name, phone number, email, and date it each time you work on it.
- Put things back when you're done - Lets try to make sure everyone can find the tool they are looking for once you are finished.
- Respect all the tools - They are hungry beasts and will maim you. Don't be goofing off in the shop. Only use tools you are certified to use.
- If something breaks, put a note on it and contact the Area Host, don't just leave it for the next person to find.
- Make awesome things!
- Projects too large for your locker cannot be left in the shop in a manner that makes any tool unusable. (If you have to store your project in the shop, find an out of the way place for it).
- You must have a label with your name, phone number, and email on your project and any materials that belong to you. Every time you work on it, write the date on your label.
- If a project is untouched for 30 days, the project will be considered abandoned and be made available to the membership as scrap or thrown away.
- Your project may not be stored in the space for more than 60 days TOTAL time, whether you worked on it daily or once every other week.
For best results, have all the materials on hand when you start a project and set aside time to finish it quickly so we don't have projects laying all over the shop, half done, for months.
All equipment in the workshop has been tagged Category:Shop Equipment.
All equipment requires certification to be used. Please see the individual tool pages for information on who can certify you to use these tools.
Requests for additional equipment are available at Metalshop Wishlist.
Using the tools
If it belongs to PS:One, please be nice to the tools. If they belong to a member who is awesome enough to loan us their personal gear, make sure you treat it extra nice and also, get their permission first.
Please be respectful and aware of others working in the shop at the same time you are. If you are throwing sparks, throw them away from other people. If you are walking around with hot metal, say something so others know where you are and don't get branded. If you are going to start making a lot of noise, let other people know so they can get some ear protection, don't just deafen them.
There are several categories of authorizations in the machine shop.
- Tier 1 - the non-precision machines. This includes the machine shop bandsaws, DoAll drill press, hot metals belt grinder and cutoff saw. Contact Michael Patton (Patton.Michael13 at gmail.com)
- Manual Bridgeport milling machine. Tier 1 authorization is a prerequisite. Contact JP DeBauge (impatientinventor at gmail.com) or watch the mailing list for the next session.
- Clausing lathe. Tier 1 authorization is a prerequisite. Contact Anna Yu to schedule.
Youtube Channels Shadon HKW https://www.youtube.com/user/shadonhkw/featured
Keith Rucker - Vintage Machinery https://www.youtube.com/user/ksruckerowwm/featured
Pages in category "Cold Metals"
The following 40 pages are in this category, out of 40 total.