General Area Wishlist
Tools members would like to see in the general area.
Low ticket items
- Bigger toilet seats
- Graffiti Wall
- Rotary tool bits (cut-off wheels; diamond grinding bit; sidecutter bit)
- Machine Screws (variety)
- Tape of all kinds
- Shop pencils
Big Ticket Items
Merged tool crib wishlist
This page is a place to gather all our dreams and desires for the new tool crib, which will primarily be the responsibility of the new area host. They're likely to come into the position with a plan, but documenting the needs and wants of the membership might help guide that plan.
- Ample small (think apothecary or old hardware store) drawers up to eye level for storing one kind of thing and only one kind of thing. Jason (talk) 14:09, 25 February 2014 (CST)
- Narrow shelves for holding shoebox plastic containers for hand tools and accessories — it's shameful that hand planes would be tossed onto a shelf with other junk — drills and their chucks, hammer drill handles, etc. should be kept together. Jason (talk) 14:09, 25 February 2014 (CST)
- Well-labeled larger cabinets for tools, cases, bulk consumables — however, we need to make sure that paint, solvents, glue, bottles, etc. be kept somewhere else so they're easy to find, but they're not tools and don't need to take up space that needs to be used efficiently. Jason (talk) 14:19, 25 February 2014 (CST)
- Zero open flat space — simply tossing a tool onto the pile is unacceptable. No open bins, no jars of nothing sitting out in the open. Jason (talk) 14:09, 25 February 2014 (CST)
- Dispensers for commonly used consumables like paper towels, rolled shop towels, disposable gloves, dust masks? Jason (talk) 14:19, 25 February 2014 (CST)
- Paint the floor with red danger area stripes indicating that it is unacceptable to leave anything on the floor or obstructing the aisle. Jason (talk) 14:09, 25 February 2014 (CST)
- Cage must have some kind of enclosure to keep dust and chips out — even masonite would be fine as long as people aren't throwing junk on the top. Jason (talk) 14:09, 25 February 2014 (CST)
Tools we need
The new tool crib should probably come with an inventory of our existing tools, followed by a significant purchase of new hand tools. This is a list of member recommendations.
- Snap ring pliers internal/external with an assortment of different sized pins.
- Deep sockets 3/8 & 1/2 in SAE & metric. Impact would be nice.
- Ratcheting combination wrenches such as those made by Gearwrench. SAE & metric.
- Nichelson 8 Inch Mill Bastard File Files are cheap, very hard, and can cut almost anything. And sharp ones are safer. $4 each. --Nerobro (talk) 09:29, 10 January 2014 (CST)
- Set of wood rasps so people don't misuse files on wood. Jason (talk) 13:59, 25 February 2014 (CST)
- Several decent Johnson cast magnesium combination squares, several new carpenter's try squares (ours aren't actually square). Jason (talk) 13:59, 25 February 2014 (CST)
- Good quality ripping, crosscut, miter, razor/dovetail, and coping saws. Jason (talk) 13:59, 25 February 2014 (CST)
- A set of decent quality beveled edge chisels and mortising chisels with explicit instructions that they are only to be used on wood. A wooden or poly maul for said chisels. Jason (talk) 14:13, 25 February 2014 (CST)
- Grinder accessories
- Maybe a new pedestal grinder.
- Coarse and medium wheels for pedestal grinder.
- New wheels for spur dresser (grinder dressing tool)
- Diamond wheel dresser.
- Air Compressor
- Craftsman Professional 60 Gallon Air Compressor, 3.1 RHP, Vertical Tank, Oil Lube
- Porter Cable Reconditioned Nailgun & Compressor Kit — 150 PSI Compressor, 16 Gauge Nails, Model# PC1PAKR
- Hot Metals Area
- Portable Fume Exhauster 230/460V AC, 345 CFM @ 0" SP, 1/2 hp