Jet Wood Lathe
|This tool is currently broken, please contact the area host for more information.|
This tool requires certification for use.
The Jet Wood Lathe hasn't been put in service yet, so it is listed as "not working."
Personal Protective Equipment
- Face shield (not just safety glasses) must be worn.
- Long and loose hair must be contained.
- Do not wear gloves or loose clothing.
- Remove watches, rings, and other jewelry.
- Don't wear or roll up long sleeves.
- Dust protection may be required.
Pre-Operational Safety Checks
- Locate and ensure you are familiar with all machine operations and controls.
- Ensure all guards are fitted, secure and functional. Do not operate if guards are missing or faulty.
- Workpiece must be securely fastened to face plate, chuck or between centers.
- Rotate the workpiece by hand to check clearance between tool rest and bed.
- Ensure the cutting tools are sharp and in good condition.
- Start the dust extraction unit before using the machine.
- Make sure all clamping handles are tight.
Operational Safety Checks
- Adjust speed to suit the diameter of the work and turning operation (IMPORTANT - *never* adjust speed while the lathe is off!)
- Before making adjustments (apart from speed), switch off and bring the machine to a complete standstill.
- Keep the tool rest adjusted close to the work and at the correct height.
- Stop the lathe and remove all tool rests before sanding.
Ending Operations and Cleaning Up
- Switch off the machine when work completed.
- Return all chisels and other tools to racks.
- Leave the machine in a safe, clean and tidy state.
Potential Hazards and Injuries
- Eye injuries from flying debris or defective timber.
- Hair/clothing getting caught in moving machine parts.
- Airborne dust.
- Rough cut the workpiece as close as possible to the finished shape before installing it.
- Check your workpiece for flaws, cracks, knots etc. and test glue joints before mounting the workpiece on machine.
- Use the lowest speed when starting a new workpiece.
- Drive the workpiece into the drive center while the drive center is in the headstock.
- Set the drive center into the workpiece with a soft mallet prior to installing it on the headstock.
- Touch your project by hand while the lathe is running
How To Get Certified
The area host has determined that certifications for this machine should not be viral.
A list of members allowed to certify others will be posted here when the Danger Committee has finish creating a process.
List of Currently Certified Users
|Qualified Member||Trained By|
The following is a work in progress. https://wiki.pumpingstationone.org/Wood_Lathe_Authorization_Checklist