Difference between revisions of "Johnson Bandsaw"
|Line 37:||Line 37:|
|120V via VFD, motor is 240V 3 phase
|120V via VFD, motor is 240V3 phase
Revision as of 04:41, 13 December 2016
|Make/Model||Johnson Model J (JD)|
- A VFD has been fitted, this allows the machine to run on a 110v circuit and provides a variable speed control. The RPM display shows the RPM of the drive wheel (16"), the blade speed will be approx. 4.18 * RPM. The power switch on the left side applies power to the VFD. The on/off button on the front panel controls the blade and serves as an emergency switch, pull for on push for off. The dial controls RPM.
Open Tasks: 1. Label control box 2. Modify gear cover or fabricate new one. 3. Wire end-of-cut switch to control box. - Jim Brink 12/10/16
- The large groove (fastest speed) of the motor shaft step pulley is bent. The motor vibrates excessively when the belt is in this groove. Use the other grooves (slower speeds) until the pulley is replaced.
This tool requires authorization for use.
Johnson products are now supported by Dake. http://www.dakecorp.com/ Replacement parts for this saw are generally available.
|Capacity||10" rounds, 18" flats|
|Blade Size||137" x 3/4"|
|Blade Speed||35, 90, 130, 190 FPM|
|Power||120V via VFD, motor is 3/4HP,240V, 3 phase|
General rule of thumb is that if the thinnest part (in the direction of the blade) that you're cutting isn't at least 3 saw teeth thick, it will damage the blade.
Grease pivot bar
Add coolant pan and pump.
Add blade brush.
Put FPM from the machine's sticky note on here.
|Hydraulic cylinder||Maintain level at top of oil cup.|
|Gear Box||yearly||80W-90 gear oil||Drain and fill with 3 ounces of oil.
Requires removing gearbox. See below.
|2/14 8 oz 85W90|
|Pivot bar||monthly||General purpose grease||2 Zerk fittings. Use grease gun.|
Gearbox oil change. Loosen 2 screws on the left edge of right top cover. Remove top 2 screws on the right side. Loosen bottom 2 screws on the right side cover. Slide top cover towards the center of the saw. Pivot the right cover down. Remove drive belt. Remove gearbox step pulley. Remove 3 bolts holding the gearbox. These are near the ring gear teeth. Remove the gearbox out the top of the saw between the two transverse brackets (long shaft comes out last). Drain/fill bolt is on the side opposite the pinion gear. Consider replacing the gaskets on the gearbox.
These notes are for authorized users and authorizers; you must be authorized on the tool by a person, not this list. Don't expect this list to be complete or authoritative.
- Horizontal band saws cut via a vertically descending blades.
- The cutting tooth speed is set by a pulley in the rear and VFD.
- Lift up on the motor to get some slack on the belt.
- Don't cross wheels; keep the pulley belt straight.
- Go toward larger motor wheels for soft metals and plastic and smaller motor wheels for tough metals like steel (and tool steel.)
- The cutting tooth feed is set by a needle valve and a weight on top.
- Be gentle with the needle valve; a single finger with light pressure is enough to adjust it.
- as of 12/16 a Fluxmaster 50 VFD has been added. The machine is now powered by 120v. Any 120 volt outlet can be used.
- Power to the VFD is controlled by the toggle switch on the left of the control box.
- The button switch on the front and and the trip lever control the motor. The button must be pulled out and the trip lever up. Both must be 'on' to power the motor.
- RPM is controlled by the dial and the belt position.
- Blade speed in feet per minute is approx 4.18 * RPM shown on the tachometer.
- Turn off switches and unplug the machine when you're done to prevent accidental activation.
- Never walk away from the machine while it's running. We are not a production shop; babysit the machine in case it fails and avoid putting curious people in danger.
- Clamping a workpiece
- Short pieces cock the vice jaws. This ruins the grip on the workpiece and is to be avoided. Componensate by using a block approximately the size of your workpiece or a machinist jack on the far side of the vise jaws.
- Check the width of your workpiece against the teeth.
- The thinnest section of the workpiece should be wider than three teeth in a row.
- The thickest section of the workpiece should be narrow than twenty-four teeth.
- If you're cutting angle stock, rotate it so that it forms a < shape to prevent it from rotating.
- If you're cutting round, use angle blocks (in the tooling cabinet) to keep it from rotating.
- Check that the movable blade guide is as close as possible while clearing the vice and the table.
- Unplug the machine before adjusting the pulley or changing the blade.
- Never leave the machine while running. We aren't a production shop; you need to be right by the machine in case something goes wrong or if a curious person walks by.
- Clean up when you're done. Don't leave stock in the machine; don't leave chips and coolant behind. Use a small bucket to catch chips before they hit the ground.
Manual for the latest version of the Model J (very similar).
Good link for restoration, including coolant pan dimensions and bearing sizes. http://www.shopfloortalk.com/forums/showthread.php?t=21021
Manual for Fluxmaster 50.
List of Currently Authorized Users
|Qualified Member||Trained By|
|Todd Allen||Ed Bennet|
|David Morton||Anna Yu|
|George Shaw||Thomas Wright|
|bandit Gangwere||Ed Bennet|
|Kyle Bieneman||Todd Allen|
|Scott Little||Todd Allen|
|RJ Metzger||Todd Allen|
|Giovanni Arroyo||Todd Allen|
|Mark C.||Todd Allen|
|Joao Santos||Todd Allen|
|Nicholas Haldereman||Todd Allen|
|Doorman Dave||Todd Allen|
|Stephen Ioannou||Todd Allen|
|Lucas Goossen||Todd Allen|
|Roger Moore||Todd Allen|
|Matt Wilkens||Todd Allen|
|Rhonda Jackson||Todd Allen|
|Matt Meshulam||Todd Allen|
|Kevin Pulver||Todd Allen|
|Andrew Camardella||Todd Allen|
|Mike Coriale||Todd Allen|
|John Farmer||Todd Allen|
|Jay Pee||Todd Allen|
|Sam Paris||Todd Allen|
|Jake Rush||Todd Allen|
|Carolyn Ignacio||Todd Allen|
|Andrew Sowa||Todd Allen|
|Hilary Lee||Todd Allen|
|Eric Slehofer||Todd Allen|
|Sam Reicks||Todd Allen|
|Tyler Matthew||Todd Allen|
|Ben Bogler||Todd Allen|
|Brittany Krawczyk||Todd Allen|
|Cary Lahucik||Todd Allen|
|Eric Yu||Todd Allen|
|Davis Mazariegos||Todd Allen|
|Dan Baltudis||Todd Allen|
|Ryan Taylor||Everett Wilson|
|Andy Richardson||Everett Wilson|
|David Srebro||Todd Allen|
|Shae Kurko||Todd Allen|
|Simon Cygielski||Todd Allen|
|Jeff Lawson||Ron Olson|
|James Villalpando||Ron Olson||5/19/15|
|Greg "Nerobro" Teiber||Everett Wilson|
|Pericles Tsellos||Todd Allen||14JUN2015|
|Hunter Koerner||Todd Allen||6/14/15|
|Eric Reusche||Todd Allen|
|Raj Perera||Todd Allen||6/14/15|
|Erik Wessing||Todd Allen|
|Ryan Neuman||Ron Olson|
|Kevin Sampson||Todd Allen||7/22/15|
|Jim Baker||Todd Allen|
|Tom Boeman||Todd Allen||8/30/15|
|Jonathan Levine||Todd Allen||9/23/15|
|Alejandro Drexler||Todd Allen||9/23/15|
|Sheila Miguez||Everett Wilson||10/14/2015|
|Niko Hawley||Todd Allen|
|Will Alt||Todd Allen||10/28/15|
|Peter Letscher||Todd Allen||10/28/15|
|Aaron Carlock||Todd Allen||11/18/15|
|Jennie P||Todd Allen||11/18/15|
|Kurt Ziegel||Todd Allen||11/18/15|
|Mike Forkan||Ron Olson||11/18/15|
|Marcin Ignasiak||Ron Olson|
|Greg Kudlacz||Todd Allen|
|Daniel Maziarz||Todd Allen|
|Jean Michel Crettaz||Todd Allen||12/14/15|
|Dafe Hughes||Todd Allen||12/16/15|
|Lauren Svedman||Michael Patton||1/06/16|
|Bruce McConachie||Michael Patton||1/10/16|
|Andrew Dalesandro||Michael Patton||1/10/16|
|Tony Johnson||Michael Patton||1/10/16|
|Brandon Love||Michael Patton||1/27/16|
|Connor Sullivan||Tom Judge||1/22/16|
|Adam Stafford||Michael Patton||4/17/16|
|Ian Monroe||Michael Patton||6/29/16|
|Joe Iklov||Michael Patton||6/29/16|
|Jim Brink||Michael Patton||6/29/16|
|Frank Bowles||Michael Patton||6/29/16|
|Eugene Liokumovich||Michael Patton|
|Sam Olendorf||Michael Patton|
|Brian Cuocci||Michael Patton||10/5/16|
|Jon Komperda||Dean Anderson||11/6/16|