Last Edited: 04/6/2021
- 1 Welcome
- 2 Quick list of things to do
- 3 Your Role (as a Member)
- 4 Facility Operations
- 5 Managing my membership
- 5.1 How do I re-join Ps:One?
- 5.2 How do I get a key-fob?
- 5.3 How do I activate a keyfob?
- 5.4 How do I change my membership level?
- 5.5 Can I keep my authorizations and ID checks if I cancel my membership?
- 5.6 How do I terminate my membership?
- 5.7 How do I change the credit card on my account?
Welcome to the Pumping Station: One, Chicago's premiere hackerspace. We do woodworking, software, metalworking, art, crafts, electronics, chemistry, power wheel racing, TARDIS building, green technology, nanotechnology, tinkering, dismantling of robots, assembling of robots, music, biotechnology, CNC, and the many ways all those subjects (and more) intersect and collaborate.
Quick list of things to do
- Read the Bylaws
- Read the Membership agreement
- Read our Policies
Things to do
- Sign the waiver
- Join the mailing lists
- Come to Member Meetings to see whats going on and meet other members
- Build something awesome
- Join a class and learn something new
- Start a thing and inspire someone
- Bring your friends/guests - some guidelines
- Edit the Wiki
- Ask if you don't know
Your Role (as a Member)
As a member of Pumping Station: One, you aren't just buying shared use of a workshop, you're joining a community of people who love learning and making things, and sharing their knowledge with others. That learning and sharing ethos is what makes a hackerspace great, so embrace it to the greatest extent that you can.
This hackerspace belongs to and is controlled by its members, so by joining up, It's your hackerspace. If you see something wrong or broken, fix it. (or if you don't know how, bring it to the attention of someone who does and offer to help; you'll learn something!) If you want something to work differently, make it happen (the board, area hosts, and other long time members can usually be of help here). You as a member are allowed to be at the space any time! Talk to a board member to get your keycode, fob, or key. We'll work out which one you get.
Every Tuesday night at 8pm we have an open house. You probably attended one of these before you became a member. Everyone is encouraged to come on Tuesday nights to see what other people are working on and share ideas. It's always full of activity and lots of fun.
Before the open house, we have a meeting of our Board of Directors. It's mostly about facility maintenance, paying bills, and whatever other issues we're dealing with at the moment. If you don't want to attend but want to stay in the loop, you can read the meeting minutes.
You're required to go to the PS1 Orientation class within 3 months of joining if you haven't already! Please see Orientation Program Policy.
At your first meeting
The first time you attend a meeting, be sure to do a couple things:
- Sign a waiver - VERY IMPORTANT everyone who walks in the door must sign a waiver, including guests.
- Introduce yourself at the meeting.
- Get a tour - an official tour leader should be announced during the meeting.
Most decisions are made by a vote of the members. Here's how voting works:
- All members may propose votes.
- Only members in good standing may vote.
- As a required step, the vote proposal is run past the board of directors for proper wording, etc. - this helps prevent people from disagreeing with your proposal because it's written poorly.
- The proposing member places the item before the membership (BOTH on mailing list and during a meeting) at least 7 days prior to a meeting.
- During this period, people may read and discuss the proposal, and offer their own counter-proposals.
- At the next scheduled meeting, the proposal and any counter proposals are voted on.
Board of Directors
Pumping Station: One is a direct democracy of its full members, but most of the heavy lifting is delegated to the board of directors . They pay the bills and coordinate things behind the scenes. If you have any questions, you can talk to one of them during a meeting or email them at email@example.com.
The people primarily responsible for the various shops in the hackerspace are the Area Hosts. They are volunteers who maintain their areas and frequently certify people on their area's tools.
You must be authorized before you can use many tools. A list of authorized members is listed for each power tool on the item's Equipment page.
If you break a tool, the WORST thing you can do is to make it look like it's not broken and leave before anyone notices. Someone could be killed. What you should do, in order of preference, is:
- fix it, if you are capable
- put a "broken" sign on it if you can't fix it, with notes about who you are and what you found.
- tell the mailing list what is broken about the tool and figure out how to fix it.
Accidents happen, and you will not be called out or derided for a simple accident.
Interested in learning?
Come by any of the events on the calendar. A few things require you to be a member or to pay a parts fee. Read the fine print.
Interested in leading?
- Pick a topic
- Gauge interest from the membership
- Pick a date
- Talk to a Board member to get your event put on the calendar or email info @ pumpingstationone.org for help
For more extensive advice read New events
Login into computers and Wiki
Your PS1 credentials will be provisioned when you create your member account. These credentials are shared among all PS1 services.
You can reset your password by clicking "Forgot Password" when logging into PS1 services.
Managing my membership
How do I re-join Ps:One?
If your membership has lapsed or is suspended and you want to become a member again, first log into your account in Wild Apricot using your email. Once you are logged in, you can input your payment methods and membership type going to the Join Us section.
How do I get a key-fob?
To get a key fob you can:
- attend a Member Meeting and asking a Board member for one - they will help you input your fob number into your wild apricot account.
- take one from the bucket near the front door.
- buy one from the gum-ball machine near the bathroom in electronics. You will need 2 quarters (please, leave the empty ball on top of the machine afterwards so we can refill it).
- buy your own 125khz RFID token (rings, cards, implants...).
How do I activate a keyfob?
- log in to the Member Database - https://membership.pumpingstationone.org/login
- make sure you have an active PS1 user account
- click "view profile" - https://membership.pumpingstationone.org/Sys/Profile
- click "edit profile"
- go to the "RFID Tag" field
- find your tag number - the red tags PS1 provides have their numbers printed on them. If you have an unnumbered tag you can find a USB RFID reader around the space. Install the reader in computer, open a text editor, and scan your tag to get the number.
- input your tag number including all leading zeros, separate multiple tags with commas.
- click save
- wait at least 15 minutes and test your tag on either the front or back door
- thank Ron Olson for being awesome and getting this system running - if you have issues please email firstname.lastname@example.org, or get on the slack #systems-group channel for assistance.
How do I change my membership level?
If you want to change your membership level, please send us an email to email@example.com letting us know.
We allow members to cancel and rejoin PS1 at their leisure. Generally we try to maintain user accounts for as long as possible, but in order to maintain our membership database we may remove accounts that are expired for longer than 6 months. Members that have come back after some time away are strongly encouraged to do an authorization as a refresher to get up to speed on new equipment and/or best practices. Having said this, if you haven't been gone for too long, let us know and we might be able to let you keep your ID checks and authorizations.
Whenever you are ready to re-join the space, you can follow the same steps you did the first time you did. This steps are described in the the Join section of the website. Please, use the same email you used the first time you joined.
How do I terminate my membership?
It depends: are you currently paying with Paypal or with your credit card in Wild Apricot? Depending on your payment method, you will have to read one of the options below.
Terminating Wild Apricot membership
To stop your membership, you only need to log into Wild Apricot, go to "Invoices and payments" in your profile and click on "Stop recurring payments".
If you do this, your membership will be terminated after the next Renewal due date plus the grace period.
Terminating Paypal membership
You have to log into your Paypal account and stop recurring payments from there. We can't stop them for you.
How do I change the credit card on my account?
To change your payment info, you first need to log into Wild Apricot, go to "Invoices and payments" in your profile and click on "Stop recurring payments".
Then, you can input your new payment method and membership type by going to the Join Us section.