Mitsui Surface Grinder
|This tool is currently broken, please contact the area host for more information.|
|Arrival Date||Late 2016|
All repair needs to be coordinated with the area host.
Motor bearings were replaced, to great success. Ball ways and table are installed. The test grind on 4140PH at 23 Hz. went well. Good finish with no ripples.
- Remove saddle, clean ways and check turcite for damage.
- Z ways need to be cleaned.
- Replace Z way pleated covers.
- Fill lubrication tank with correct oil. Check that all oil lines are working.
After initial repair, diagnosis of further issues will come via a test grind.
- The table will need to be ground in.
- A mag chuck will need to be ground in.
- Five block test can be used as a quick diagnosis.
The table needs to be removed periodically to clean the grinding grit from the ways.
The table is heavy. We need a system for lifting the table off of the saddle. THe engine hoist doesn't work well. Perhaps a ceiling supported crane would work.
- Remove the nut at the end of the cable on the right side under the table. Fasten a weight to the end of the cable to prevent the cable from unwinding on the capstan.
Moving the grinder
The ball ways need to be removed anytime the grinder is moved. This is necessary to prevent the races from Brinelling. To remove the ball ways, disconnect the X axis cable at each end of the table then prop up the ends of the table.