Difference between revisions of "Networking Reorg Staging Page"
|Line 16:||Line 16:|
Revision as of 02:49, 19 January 2017
This is a temporary page to gather all of the old links for systems/netwoking documentation into one place.
It will also act as a catch all for proposals for aspects of the network
What Needs to be done
- Add pages detailing services on all machines
- Add a detailed topology map
- Document the second switch
- Add pages for firmware management
- Add a combined reporting tool that aggregates network baseline along with status for over night scripts (like backups) and also pulls in
feeds like this
- Technically competent user tutorial: Many PS1 members have some level of computer systems competency but not much in the way of experience. Over the course of this year one of the things that the networking committee (and interested members) should provide is a single document that details all of PS1's digital infrastructure, providing a streamlined narrative structure that will give users a high level over view of what it takes for PS1 to work. It will provide facts and also basic tutorials for some of our services, specifically editing the wiki, filing a ticket with RT, how to log on to all of the machines and which machines there are, how to get an ssh key added.
It will have the network topology, lists of the hardware and their identifiers on the net and more information as is necessary.
This can all be combined into a PDF that can be sent to new users or printed out and given to them if so desired. It should be short, but long enough to cover everything networking related to PS1. In the end it should be a full on "manual" as in, RTFM, manual. This is a medium term goal and should wait until all of the physical network is re-routed and organized, the software is also organized and a CI deployment pipeline setup(ie Ansible + jenkins + git + jenkins or whatever). Care should be taken to produce a manual that is actually usable, ie, with TOC, index, graphics, and editing. This will also allow non-technical users to contribute to a process that they might have otherwise not been able to participate in and will in the end produce an asset for the space that could significantly affect the ease with which new hackers here can get up to speed. A target of less than 60 pages should be initially sought. While this sounds like a great deal of work, much of it will be simply moving documentation from the wiki to a single document, a process which itself can be eventually automated, thus allowing the wiki to continue to serve as the fundamental documentation source.
- Request Tracking
The respective stacks for each of these services should slowly be documented for those that aren't documented and updated for those that are.
Each of these services also should have some general monitoring setup, that goes to a place anyone with necessary admin privileges can log in and check on the general health of ps1 digital infrastructure.
List of pages already extant for systems/networking
Much of these pages need to be updated or categorized or simply deleted.
- HTTP Routing HTTP Routing
- Thinklogical scs160 serial console Thinklogical scs160 serial console
- HP Procurve 5406zl(J8697A) HP Procurve 5406zl(J8697A)
- Systems Triage Systems Triage
- Computer Setup Computer Setup
- FrontDoor Beaglebone FrontDoor Beaglebone
- Equalogic SAN Equalogic SAN
- Dell PS 38S Server Rack Dell PS 38S Server Rack
- Dockerbot Dockerbot
- Bailingwire Bailingwire
- Canyon Canyon
- Welcome Pi Welcome Pi
- Spacemon Cameras Spacemon Cameras
- Ip Cameras Ip Cameras
- Spacemon Spacemon
- IRC IRC
- Shop Music Laptop Shop Music Laptop
- Chatmon Chatmon
- Sudlowbot Sudlowbot
- Peoplemon Peoplemon
- Schedmon Schedmon
- Tardisvoice Tardisvoice
- Thingsmon Thingsmon
- Categories: Thingsbus Categories/Things Bus Data Sources
- Shop Music Laptop Shop Music Laptop
- How to add a Samba 4 Domain Controller Howto Add a Samba4 Domain Controller
- Atomic Clock Atomic Clock
- Cisco SRW2048 Switch Cisco SRW2048
- Dell E6400 10 Dell E6400 10
- Dell E6400 Unix Infrastructure Laptop Dell E6400 Unix Infrastructure Laptop
- HOWTO Create a Service [[HOWTO Create a Service[[
- HowTo Install Arch Linux HowTo Install Arch Linux
- Howto Ldap Auth Howto Ldap Auth
- IT Hardware Upgrades IT Hardware Upgrades
- Internet Router Internet Router
- Ip cameras Ip cameras
- LAN LAN
- MIBS Rules MIBS Rules
- Intenet ROuter Internet Router
- Media Setup Media Setup
- PXE Boot PXE Boot
- Salt Salt
- Systems/Services Systems/Services
- Systems/Services/DNS Systems/Services/DNS
- Vpn Vpn
- Wifi Wifi