New Member Orientation
Last Edited: 09/9/2012 Frequently_Asked_Questions
Pumping Station: One Is ...
That means whoever's doing something is the person who decides how it gets done. If you want to do something, you can basically Just Fucking Do It.
An organization of individuals doing their own thing
"Pumping Station: One" doesn't do anything besides pay the bills. Any group projects, building/planning new space facilities, etc. all gets done because an ordinary member thought it was important, got people excited about it, and followed through.
Entirely run by volunteers
Our Board of Directors, Area Hosts, people offering training on the equipment, and anyone who looks like they're doing anything remotely official are all volunteers. That means if you ask them nicely for something they'll probably help you, but you should do what you can to make their job easier.
How to Join
You can join by following the steps on the website, which are, in short:
- Pay your dues ($70 a month for a full membership or $40 a month for starving hacker)
- Read the Member Manual
- Learn about the Member Rewards
- Show up at a meeting to get your key and sign a liability release
- Optional: Get a wiki account (email info at pumpingstationone.org) and create your user page
- Get involved!
How to get Involved
All of these are optional ways you can get involved at PS:One.
- Join one of the Email Lists, if you're so inclined.
- Volunteering at PS:One
- Contact one of the Area Hosts to discuss project ideas, get certified on some of the equipment, or anything else you might need.
- Teach a class
- Skills Exchange: List of members, what skills they can offer, and which they hope to attain.
- Project Incubator: We come up with a bunch of random ideas. Let's try to write them down so we'll be more likely to remember them.
- Interestgroups: Interest Groups