Resources re-sources [ree-sawrsez] –noun 1. a source of supply, support, or aid, esp. one that can be readily drawn upon when needed. 2. an indexed organized list of people and places that you can utilize for your project. Kinda like the list found below.
- 1 Electrical
- 2 Electronics
- 3 Metal Working
- 4 Free Stuff
- 5 Genetic Sciences
- 6 Industrial Suppliers and Vendors
- 7 Mechanical
- 8 Miscellany
- 9 Raw Materials
- 10 Reference
- 11 Reading Materials
- 11.1 Books
- 11.1.1 Chemistry
- 11.1.2 Computer sciences
- 11.1.3 Crafts
- 11.1.4 Electricity & Electronics
- 11.1.5 Engineering & Design
- 11.1.6 Food
- 11.1.7 General Reference
- 11.1.8 Human Factors
- 11.1.9 Hydraulics
- 11.1.10 Inventions & Inventing
- 11.1.11 Learning & Problem Solving
- 11.1.12 Material Sciences
- 11.1.13 Metalworking & Machining
- 11.1.14 Old Things New
- 11.1.15 Physics
- 11.1.16 Robotics
- 11.2 Magazines
- 11.1 Books
- 12 Retail Suppliers
- 13 Surplus
- Circuit Schematic Symbols List Circuit Schematic Symbols: Lessons In Electric Circuits -- Volume V Chapter 9
- Electric Motor Animations very cool electric motor animations but be sure to check all the other stuff out too!
- Intro To PLC's Plain English PLC information.
- Ladder Diagram Basics Ladder Diagrams: Lessons In Electric Circuits -- Volume IV Chapter 6 Ladder diagram basics. Also check out chapters 4 and 5.
- PLC Tutor PLC Info
- Transformer basics Transformers: Lessons In Electric Circuits -- Volume II Chapter 9
- Electromechanical Reference Page A wide ranging site dealing with quite a few subjects.
- How to Clean my Soldering Iron Tip Tips on maintaining the tip on your soldering iron from Stackexchange
- How to maximize soldering iron tip life (PDF from Hakko)
- Soldering Iron Tips Care (PDF from Newark)
- Electric Scooter Parts A one-stop source for homebrew electric vehicle drive systems. Be sure to check out the customer project pages to see what was built using their drive equipment. Location: boulder Creek, CA
- EESCO Formerly known as Englewood Electric Supply Company. General supplier of electrical parts and supplies. Location: See website for your nearest local retail store
- GEM Electric Supply General supplier of electrical parts and supplies. Location: See website for your nearest local retail store
- Procuring Electronic Components A guide on another site to getting electronic parts cheaply.
- Circuit Shop Electronic Circuit CAD Circuit Shop allows you to design, simulate and learn about digital and analog electronic circuits. Circuit Shop is an easy to use graphical CAD tool to allow electronic circuits to be constructed and simulated.
- Digital Logic Simulator EasySim is an easy to use, yet sophisticated, software tool that integrates the process of designing and simulating the operation of digital electronic circuitry within the context of a Microsoft Windows environment.
- Octopart Electronic parts search engine
- Discover Circuits DiscoverCircuits.com has 28,000+ electronic circuits, cross-referenced into 500+ categories.
- Freebyte's Guide to Electronics Online Internet electronics pages catalog.
- Hobby Electronics Internet electronics pages catalog.
- LED Series/Parallel Array Wizard The LED series/parallel array wizard is a calculator that will help you design large arrays of LEDs.
- LM555 And LM556 Timer Circuits This page presents general information and some tips when using the LM555 timer.
- Resistor Color Code Converter A neat site that figures out the color codes of resistors.
General Electronics Suppliers
- Allied Electronics General electronics supplier. Location: Ft. Worth, TX
- DigiKey General electronics supplier. Location: Thief River Falls, MN
- Mouser General electronics supplier. Location: Mansfield, TX
- MakerShed MAKE Magazines own store. Kits, parts, books and supplies.
- Adafruit Industries Wide range of Micro controllers, parts and tools. A very nice Arduino experimentation kit is offered. Location: New York, NY
- Newark General electronics supplier. Location: Palatine, IL
- Sparkfun Maker geared kits, parts and supplies. Location: Boulder, CO
- MPJA Surplus electronics and related tools. Location: Lake Park, FL
- Tri-State Electronics General electronics supplier. Location: Mt. Prospect, IL
- West Florida Components General electronics supplier. Location: Tarpon Springs, FL
- Jameco Electronics General electronics supplier. Location: Belmont, CA
- Brilldea: Electronics, software and tools targeted towards prototype development. Provides Discount - Contact direct and mention PS:One Location: Hong Kong, China
- Chicago Electronic Distributors: Local member owned business specializing in Raspberry Pi, Arduino & BeagleBone. Distributor for Adafruit. Contact via website for discount and logistics.
Specialty Electronics Suppliers
- Happ Game Controls Location: Elk Grove, IL
- Hebei LTD LEDs Location: Shanghai, China
- SchmartBoard Easy prototyping of PC Boards, accounts for ICs of various types.
- All Electronics Motors/batteries and misc equpment
- Monoprice Ridiculously cheap cables, mostly A/V, and a few other things.
- Robot City Workshop Chicago’s robot store.
- Trossen Robotics Robotics kits, parts and supplies. Also check out their line of unique force and touch sensors. Location: Downers Grove, IL
- Images Scientific Instruments Robotics and electronics. Check out the various specialized sensors they sell. Very speedy shipping. Location: Staten Island NY
Custom PC Boards
- http://pcbshopper.com/ compare quotes from 23 PCB manufacturers
- The Weldcraft AK4C torch kit is the "base" kit for the Millermatic Dynasty 280DX.
NON Food Safe
- Eastwood has a large selection of colors, and a store located on the South Side and are open seven days a week
- Chicago Freestore Periodic reoccurring free exchange store. Check website for current address and hours. Location: Chicago, IL
- Freecycle chicago’s free stuff website. Mailing list membership required. Local chapters across the country.
- Craigslist Has a “Free” section oddly located in the “For Sale” section.
- Public Library of Science Biological and medical journals. All articles free.
- PubMed PubMed comprises more than 19 million citations for biomedical articles from MEDLINE and life science journals. Recent articles may require payment, free .pdfs in PubMed Central.
- PubGet Biology articles and journals on-line.
- OMIM - Online Mendelian Inheritance In Man OMIM is a comprehensive, authoritative, and timely compendium of human genes and genetic phenotypes.
- Cn3D Cn3D is a helper application for your web browser that allows you to view 3-dimensional structures from NCBI's Entrez retrieval service. Cn3D runs on Windows, Macintosh, and Unix. Cn3D simultaneously displays structure, sequence, and alignment, and now has powerful annotation and alignment editing features.
- Entrez Life sciences search engine.
- CDD - Conserved Domain Database Conserved domains are functional units within a protein that have been used as building blocks in molecular evolution and recombined in various arrangements to make proteins with different functions.
- Biosystems Molecular Interactions Database A biosystem, or biological system, is a group of molecules that interact in a biological system. One type of biosystem is a biological pathway, which can consist of interacting genes, proteins, and small molecules. Another type of biosystem is a disease, which can involve components such as genes, biomarkers, and drugs
- Probe Sequence-specific reagents database.
Industrial Suppliers and Vendors
- Grainger Longstanding industrial supplier. Note: Sales restricted to commercial accounts only however “employee sales” can cheerfully be made through personal contacts whose companies have accounts. Locations: See website for your nearest local branch
- McMaster-Carr THE source for EVERYTHING industrial! Raw materials to finished items, copy paper to robot brains to left hand threaded screws, no minimums. And they’ll sell to anyone! One of the best sales websites on the internet that you can use for idea generation and physical specifications. Lots of cross ref charts. The coin cell battery reference is outstanding! Some listings have multiple format 2 and 3D drawings available.
- MSC Industrial Supply A wide range if industrial supplies with a focus towards the metalworking industry.
- Motion Industries Wide range of industrial supplies with a focus on power transmission equipment and parts. Locations: See website for your nearest local retail store
- Bearing Headquarters Suppliers of power transmission supplies, electric motors and shafting. Locations: See website for your nearest local retail store
- Jordan Industrial Supplier of industrial supplies and raw materials. Location: Wheeling, IL
- Harbor Freight Cheap Chinese tools and machinery…cheap. Locations: See website for your nearest local retail store
- Grizzly Tools Chinese and Taiwanese sourced tools focusing on wood and metalworking equipment. Location: Muncy, PA
- Enco Long established importer of metalworking equipment, consumables and supplies. Location: Fernley, NV
- Little Machine Shop A source for tabletop mill and lathe parts and supplies. Location: Pasadena, CA
- Simple machines (flash warning) Flash animations of simple machines.
- Edhead's Simple Machine Tutorial Learn about simple and compound machines while you explore the house and tool shed! Silly fun stuff!
- Levers: Simple Machines Flash animations of various classes of levers. Levers, fulcrums and loads described and illustrated.
- Linkage Animations (archive.org retrieval) Flash animations of complex linkages.
- Linkage Mechanisms Common linkage examples.
- Mechanisms and Movement Flash animations of simple machines, mechanisms and movements.
- The World Of Timing Belts A complete primer on all things timing belt and timing belt related.
- Mechanical Engineering Design Guide The Engineer's Handbook: Tables, charts and formulas.
- How To Make Springs A complete spring making tutorial.
- Make your own springs
- DPX Systems Turn your DeWalt drill into a power drive to power other stuff like scooters, wheel chairs, hoists, toolboxes, etc. Location: Las Vegas, NV
- Jordan Industrial Supply Heavy-duty hardware distributor. Location: Wheeling, IL
- Habasit Belting Sells through distributors such as Motion Industries. If you are making a large tracked robot and need tracks they are your supplier.
- VXB Bearings A source for inexpensive bearings used in homebrew machines and gizmos. Also hybrid ceramic bearings. Location: Anaheim CA
- Lee Spring For when you can't find a particular spring ready-made on McMaster. They've got all shapes & sizes. Must register before viewing catalog.
- Craigslist Chicago Stuff, jobs and hookers.
- Emergency Medical Products Because, sooner or later, you’ll mess up and start bleeding. Very fast shipping. Location: Waukesha, WI
- BoingBoing Very cool tech and tech lifestyle blog.
- Goose Island Recycling Center Hours: Tuesday: 7AM-Noon; Thursday: 2-7PM; and the first Saturday of the month: 8AM-3PM
- United Nuclear Small amounts of chemicals and lab apparatus. They even sell uranium and elemental sodium. Location: Laingsburg, MI
- Fire Fox FX Pyro chemicals. Note the stringent registration policy. Location: Pocatello, ID
- Joann Fabrics And Crafts Large source of fabrics, sewing supplies and craft materials. Locations: See website for your nearest local retail store. (Closest to PS:One is just south in the mall at Elston & Logan, near Microcenter.)
- Vogue Fabrics One of the best fabric stores in the area, arguably one of the best in the Midwest. Wide selection of fabric for clothing and home decor. Also have corset-making supplies and a wide range of patterns from independent pattern companies. The store in Evanston on Main Street (near the Main St. CTA station) is better than the one on Roosevelt Road.
- Fishman's Fabrics High end fabric for clothing and home decor. These days the retail store is more of a showroom for their wholesale business so in many cases you are shopping from swatches, but still a good store. Just off Roosevelt Road east of the highway, near the Roosevelt Road Vogue Fabrics and Binny's South Loop.
- ParaGear Parachute fabrics and cords. Basically anything used on a parachute. Location: Skokie, IL
- The Leonard Adler Company "Sewn product construction necessities." Wondering where the local tailoring/alterations shop goes to get things like rolls of elastic, bolts of interfacing, and boxes of buttons? They almost certainly get it all from this warehouse at 3018 W. Montrose Ave. (just a few blocks east of Montrose & Kedzie). The company has been selling tailoring, dressmaking, and furrier supplies in Chicago since 1903. In many cases, what he has is much better and less expensive than the chain fabric stores. And he's local, so you don't even have to pay shipping.
- Jay Arbetman, Arbetman and Assoc. also known as Chicago Wholesale Fabrics. 2256 West Grand, in Chicago. He represents a huge number of fabric manufacturers. Relatively low minimum order, less than ten yards in many cases. Also lots of sewing findings in addition to what Leonard Adler carries. Obviously a far better selection than the fabric chain stores, and he is often less expensive as well. But you will have to plan ahead, as most of it must be ordered. Also has PFD (prepared for dyeing) fabrics. If you are gearing up to start an Etsy shop and need fabric, this is the place to go.
- Becon Fabrics And Notions An amazing assortment of drapery supplies, webbing, flagcloth and other outdoor fabrics. Great website for idea generation. Location: Lakeland, FL
- Less EMF Conductive fabric and thread. Enough said.
- Frabrics-Store.com Linen and Cotton-Linen blends, the Doggie Bag section has bolt ends at reduced price.
Junk & Salvage
- Crawford Materials Stone and brick building materials. Location: Chicago, IL
- TS Distributors - Can be cheaper than other places
- Metal Supermarkets — A source for metals, all kinds and shapes, no minimums. Location: Five locations in Chicagoland.
- D. Wexler & Sons — A36 steel. A small supply shop, very friendly, will answer your questions. Location: 47th St, Chicago
- Otis-Oakley — Sells scrap steel, as well as some new steel. Location: California Ave and Fulton St, Chicago
- MetalsDepot — A source for metals, all kinds and shapes, no minimums. Location: Winchester, KY
- Midwest Steel - A source for metals, all shapes and larger sizes available than most, no minimums. Location: Rodgers, MN.
- Speedy Metals - A source for metals all shapes and sizes, Plate/sheet are a standard size, no minimums, and has discounted items. Location: Rockford, IL
- Xpedx Retail Stores Retail small printer supply house. Papers, boxes, inks, plate making supplies. Locations: See website for your nearest local retail store.
- Graytex Papers Graytex Papers provides specialty papers and a greater choice of paper sizes. Location: Justin, TX
- Owl Hardwood Lumber — Rare and exotic woods, specialty woodworking supplies and kits. Location: See website for your nearest local retail store. Mention the PS1 account when you make your purchase and receive a 10% discount.
- Wood World — South on Elston. Expensive and unhelpful. Heavily picked over exotic and domestic hardwood. Last resort.
- Carstens Millworks — Sawyer in Warrenville offering kiln dried regional hardwoods.
- All American Reclaim] — Reclaimed hardwood in Crystal Lake.
- Russell Mill — Saw mill in Zion Illinois — salvage and reclaimed lumber, hardwood sawyer.
- Meyers Woodworking and Lumber — West Chicago sawyer — regional hardwoods.
- Horrigan Urban Forest Products — Skokie — urban felled hardwoods
- GH Woodworking — Wauconda sawyer — reclaimed urban hardwood.
- Rebuilding Exchange — Chicago (10 minutes drive South on Elston) — reclaimed lumber and fixtures
- Inventables — All sorts of maker-y hardware and materials, including laserable size acrylic. Friend of PS:One! Location: Chicago.
- Petersen plastics — sheet plastics and manufacturing services. Location: Chicago.
- Rayco Sign Supply — roll vinyl for the use with the vinyl cutter, and other sign-making supplies. Location: Chicago
- Eager Polymers — Liquid thermosets: Silicones, epoxies, moldmaking, etc. Location: 48th St, Chicago
- Tortenson glass 3233 N. Sheffield Ave. - tends to be expensive, compared to Chicago Tempered Glass
- Chicago Tempered Glass
- The internet! For standard sizes and thicknesses, you can now get glass delivered for less than the price of local custom fabrication.
Calculators And Conversions
- On Line Conversion Convert just about anything to anything else. Over 5,000 units, and 50,000 conversions.
- Radiation Dose to Risk Converter When you really, Really, REALLY mess up.
- CalcEnstein Need a specific or unusual calculator?
- XE Currency Converter Currency exchange rates updated daily.
- Cole-Parmer Chemical Compatibility Charts Which materals are compatable with what chemicals.
Creativity, Brainstorming, Learning And Teaching
- Creativity Tools A source for creativity tools and ideas.
- Five Why's A simple useful problem-solving tool.
- Instructional System Design How to design training programs.
- Problem Solving Techniques Problem solving tool and ideas.
- Training & Learning Site Creative training and instruction.
- Free MIT Web Classes MIT is putting their entire curriculum on line and for free!
- Cooked Sugar Tests and Temperatures Sugar and what you can expect it to do at various temperatures.
- Food Timeline Just a damn cool site that has NOTHING to do with the rest of this stuff.
- eFunda: The Ultimate Engineering Fundamentals Site eFunda stands for engineering Fundamentals. Its mission is to create an online destination for the engineering community, where working professionals can quickly find concise and reliable information to meet the majority of their daily reference needs.
- Small Drive Parts Reference From Stock Drive Products.
- Technologystudent.com The information sheets cover a wide range and include, the design process, gear systems, electronics, cams, printed circuit boards, PIC microcontrollers/computer control, key words/phrases, structures, vocational work, technology and cultures, basic CNC work. They are intended to provide a valuable resource for teachers and pupils AND they are free.
- DB Fletcher Capstan Ilona Expanding Table File under things that make you go "Huh! Neat!"
- Hackerspaces All about hackerspaces, where they are and ideas behind them.
- InnoCentive Here is where big business offers you big money to solve their big problems.
- Invention Quotes Because we all need motivation and inspiration from time to time.
- List Of All U.S. Govt Agencies Because sometimes you just have to work WITH them.
- MAKE Magazine The MAKE'ers magazine.
- Instructables A great site for diy projects with step-by-step instructions.
- U. S. Patent Office Quick Search Search the database for all things patent related.
- Unique Projects This guy made a toy Sherman tank his kid could ride in! How cool is that!
- United Inventor’s Association United Inventors Association is the national membership organization dedicated to inventor education and support.
- Refdesk.com A depository of reference sites whose information has been confirmed as valid.
- Electro-Chemical Etching A treatise on cutting thin metal using acid to cut complex shapes.
- Little Machine Shop Reference Page Reference page for tooling, parts, and accessories for bench top machinists.
- Metalworking.com A resource for the "Rec.Crafts.Metalworking" community of hobbyists and small businesses.
- Nicholson File Information Nicholson file guide to files and filing.
- Nicholson File Terminology Nicholson File Terminology Guide
- Sherline's Metalworking Resources and Hotlinks List Reference material for miniature machining.
- Shop Floor Talk Forum A forum for all things metal and metal working.
- The Home Shop Machinist & Machinist's Workshop BBS A forum for all things metal and metal working.
- Lumber Weight Calculator A very diverse and detailed calculator designed to determine lumber weights.
- Nominal Lumber Dimensions Actual lumber dimensions chart.
- PVC Pipe Dimensions Actual PVC pipe dimensions chart.
- MIT’s Intro to Metal Shop Video Series An outstanding series for the beginning machinist.
Title (Links to Amazon.com), Author, ISBN, Description
- Lindsay Technical Publications Now out of business. An amazing catalog of how to books from the turn of the century to modern technology.
- Lindsay's links to similar vendors
- Your Old Time Bookstore Former employees of Lindsay, some of the same books
- Gingery Books
- Knowledge Publications. A lot of energy related books.
- Chemical Tradename Dictionary (Paperback) Ash 1560816252 A dictionary that cross references tradename and scientific names of industrial chemicals.
- Industrial Chemical Thesaurus Vol 1 & 2 (Hardcover) Ash 1560816155 This reference work contains approximately 40,000 international tradenames by which more than 6000 generic chemicals are known and marketed worldwide.
- McGraw-Hill Dictionary of Chemistry (Paperback) Parker 9780070524286 An essential reference for all professional engineers, writers, and students.
Electricity & Electronics
- Electrical Motor Controls (Hardcover) Rockis 9780826916716 Considered to be the standard text for text books in the field. This textbook presents technical information on the control devices used in contemporary industrial electrical systems. A sampling of topics includes electrical safety, solenoids, reversing motor circuits, power distribution systems, solid-state relays, reduced-voltage starting, PLCs, and DC and AC circuits.
- Telephone Repair Illustrated (Hardcover) Bigelow 0830640347 This guide will take you through beginning and intermediate levels of telephone repair.
Engineering & Design
- 507 Mechanical Movements: Mechanisms and Devices (Dover Science Books) (Paperback) Brown 0486443604 This 1868 compendium of ingenious mechanisms employs simple drawings to explain 507 of the small components that constitute complex machinery. Left-hand pages feature illustrations, and facing pages offer brief descriptions of use and operation. Ranging from simple to complex, the mechanisms include cranks, pulleys, drills, wheels, and screws. Read/Download free eBook
- Dictionary of Engineering (Paperback) Parker 9780070524354 An essential reference for all professional engineers, writers, and students.
- Engineering Formulas (Hardcover) Gieck 9780071457743 A good source of math formulas for many subjects.
- Ingenious Mechanisms for Designers and Inventors 4-Volume Set (Hardcover) Jones 0831110848 Among the mechanisms described and illustrated by working diagrams are: Cam applications and special cam designs; intermittent motions from gears and cams; interlocking devices; valve diagrams; reversing mechanisms of special design; tripping or stop mechanisms; drives of crank type for reciprocating driven members; feeding mechanisms and auxiliary devices; feeding and ejecting mechanisms; and many, many more.
- Machine Design Data Handbook (Hardcover) Lingaiah 9780070379336 This unique handbook provides hundreds of charts on material properties as well as the necessary equations, formulas, calculations, graphs, and data required to solve the full range of machine design problems.
- Basic Fixture Design (Hardcover) Campbell 831130520 This illustrated introduction to fixture design takes the reader from concept to building. It details the mechanics, materials used, commercially available components, design procedures, and economics.
- Jig and Fixture Design Manual (Hardcover) Henriksen 0831110988 Written for the experienced engineer as well as the student, this comprehensive reference presents the fundamental aspects of jig and fixture design.
- Mechanisms and Mechanical Devices Sourcebook (Hardcover) Chironis 0070109184 A one-of-a-kind pictorial directory gives you drawings and descriptions of time-tested components, mechanisms, and devices.
- Rolling Bearings and Their Contribution to the Progress of Technology (Hardcover) FAG Bearings 712415009 A text unique in the fact that it was written and published by a manufacturing company
- Unwritten Laws of Engineering (Paperback) King 0791806413 This fully revised and updated edition of the 1944 classic serves as a crucial compilation of 'house rules' or a professional code.
- Cooking for Geeks: Real Science, Great Hacks, and Good Food (O'Reilly Media; 1 edition (August 9, 2010)) (Paperback) Potter 0596805888 Initialize your kitchen and calibrate your tools. Learn about the important reactions in cooking, such as protein denaturation, Maillard reactions, and caramelization, and how they impact the foods we cook. Play with your food using hydrocolloids and sous vide cooking. Gain firsthand insights from interviews with researchers, food scientists, knife experts, chefs, writers, and more, including author Harold McGee, TV personality Adam Savage, chemist Hervé This, and xkcd.
- Dr. Deming: The American Who Taught the Japanese About Quality (Paperback) Aguayo 9780671746216 This is a classic book that is very useful for those who need a gentle introduction to Total Quality Management. Although 15 years old with some rather dated examples, the message it gives is still relevant and important.
- Pocket Ref (Paperback) Glover 1885071337 Pocket Ref is a unique book. It is part encyclopedia, part trivia tome, part entertainment and part dispute-solver. Buried in the various tables and charts are tons of data and facts to aid the reader, roadside mechanic or budding MacGyver. There is also a full size version that does not require a microscope to read.
- Visual Control Systems (Visual Control Innovations in Japan's Most Advanced Companies) (Paperback) Shimbun 9781563271434 How to keep factory workers from messing up by using signs, lights, charts and pictures.
- Human Factors Design Handbook (Hardcover) Multiple 9780070717688 Covers the art and science of designing machines for human use.
- Vickers Industrial Hydraulics Manual (Hardcover) Vickers 9780963416209 Eaton Fluid Power Training's Industrial Hydraulics Manual have set the standard for the industry for many years. Clear, plainly written text and high-quality illustrations make the Vickers Industrial Hydraulics Manual the most popular hydraulics text both in plants and at local college bookstores.
Inventions & Inventing
- Creativity: Flow and the Psychology of Discovery and Invention (Paperback) Csikszentmihalyi 9780060928209 What makes us invent things?
- Inventing Modern America: From the Microwave to the Mouse (Paperback) Brown 9780262523493 Introduces 35 practitioners of American ingenuity in this survey, profiling inventors in many fields.
- Invention by Design; How Engineers Get from Thought to Thing (Paperback) Petroski 9780674463684 Invention by design is a complex book written about simple everyday things we use. Things like paper clips, aluminum cans, mechanical pencils, zippers, airplanes, bridges, and more.
- Inventors and Discoverers: Changing Our World (Hardcover) Newhouse 0870447513 From steam to aeronautics, from photography to tomorrow's technology, this intriguing chronicle of invention and discovery relives 200 years of technological breakthroughs that have changed our world.
- The Engines of Our Ingenuity: An Engineer Looks at Technology and Culture (Paperback) Lienhard 9780195167313 What makes us engineer things?
Learning & Problem Solving
- The Thinker's Toolkit: 14 Powerful Techniques for Problem Solving (Paperback) Jones 9780812928082 A book for problem solving and decision-making.
- Introduction to Materials and Processes (Hardcover) Wright 9780827350205 A comprehensive approach designed to introduce the beginning student of engineering to the basic concepts of the industrial materials and
- Materials Handbook: An Encyclopedia (Hardcover) Brady 9780070070745 Covers both classic and cutting edge material, applications and limitations.
Metalworking & Machining
- How To Run A Lathe (Paperback) O'Brian 155918115X The care and operation of a screw cutting lathe.
- Machine Shop Practice Vol. 1 (Hardcover) Moltrecht 0831111267 An essential reference for all machinists, professional engineers, writers, and students.
- Machine Shop Practice Vol. 2 (Hardcover) Moltrecht 0831111321 An essential reference for all machinists, professional engineers, writers, and students.
- Machinery's Handbook Tool-Box Edition (Hardcover) Multiple 9780831126254 Considered to be the standard metalworking shop reference. Updated versions regularly published.
- Machining Fundamentals (Hardcover) Walker 870067109 A comprehensive text that provides an introduction to the various machining operations, setups, and procedures. The colorful and detailed text covers all traditional machining methods, as well as newer and nontraditional methods. Extensive coverage of CNC and automated manufacturing processes is included.
- Modern Metalworking (Hardcover) Walker 870061666 A good basic high school/jr. college shop course text book on the subject. Long out of print but can often be had for less than $2 used.
Old Things New
- 1897 Sears, Roebuck & Co. Catalog (Paperback) Israel 9780791019450 A great source of nostalgia, lost ideas and technologies.
- 1902 Sears, Roebuck & Co. Catalog (Paperback) Amory 9780517009222 A great source of nostalgia, lost ideas and technologies.
- Boy Mechanic: 700 Things for Boys to Do/ Book 1-3 (Paperback) Pop Mechanics 917914880 A compendium reprint of projects from Popular Mechanics circa 1913. A great source of nostalgia, lost ideas and technologies. 3+ Volumes are available.
- The Boy Electrician (Paperback) Morgan 1559181648 The classic how-to book, first published in 1913, is filled with dozens of electrical projects and experiments for the young and old alike.
- War Toys for Boys Classic Plans (Pamphlet) Hall 1559182490 A compendium reprint of projects from Popular Mechanics circa 1913. A great source of nostalgia, lost ideas and technologies.
Title, (Type), Description
- Design News (Trade Journal/Free Subscription) THE design magazine. Excellent website!
- Electronic Design News (Trade Journal/Free Subscription) THE electronics design magazine
- Electronics Digest (E-zine) OEM Electronics
- EPEMag (E-zine) Web delivered hobby magazine
- MAKE Magazine (Consumer/Paid Subscription) The MAKE'ers magazine
- h+ (E-zine and Consumer/Paid Subscription) h+ covers technological, scientific, and cultural trends that are changing, and will change, human beings in fundamental ways.
- http://www.ewa1.com/mghmen.html Model Engineering (UK)] (Consumer/Paid Subscription) Scale working steam engines and bench top machining
- http://www.techbriefs.com/ NASA Tech Briefs] (Trade Journal/Free Subscription) Way beyond cutting edge tech
- Nuts And Volts (Consumer/Paid Subscription) Electronics hobby magazine
- The Home Shop Machinist, Machinist's Workshop, and Digital Machinist (Consumer/Paid Subscription) THE home machinists magazine series
- American Science and Surplus All around awesome store, and we get a discount! Customer Number is 12025714. Retail locations in Park Ridge, Geneva, and Milwaukee.
- Edmund Scientific Wide range of science related toy, games and kits. Location: Tonawanda, NY
- Brick Link Kind of like eBay or Amazon but for Lego bricks.
- Government Liquidators Official federal government auctions site. Read the fine print before you leap.