Difference between revisions of "Wiki Maintenance"
Revision as of 21:37, 15 August 2019
This is the start of the Wiki Maintenance Group
- 1 Goals
- 2 General Wiki guidelines and etiquette will go here
- 3 Links to important pages
- 4 Tasks to do
- 5 Ideas for improvement
- 6 Wiki Overhal
- Introduce new members to the process of editing the wiki
- create equipment labels and wiki pages
- add authorization details
- navigation principles
- basic syntax
- Have a monthly meeting to edit the wiki
- Update equipment pages
- Help inventory
- Category and template creation
- Introduce members to Special:SpecialPages
- Networking Staging Page Networking Reorg Staging Page
General Wiki guidelines and etiquette will go here
finding candidates for deletion
Candidates for deletion are pages that haven't been updated in a long time, are incomplete, abandoned. A question you may ask yourself: is the deletion improving clarity or wiki structure?
- Some equipment pages may be candidates for deletion, but if there is valuable information in them consider making them historical pages.
- If there is some information that would be useful or historical in a page consider moving that content to a more appropriate page or making the page historical.
- Do not delete pages in user namespaces.
- create redirects to single tool pages based on terms you would search to find that tool.
- If there is more than one tool redirect to a disambiguation page or a subsection that lists all those tools.
To add a redirect to an existing page (not another redirect) create a new page and add the following text
- #REDIRECT [[the page you'd like to redirect to]]
change incorrect redirects
- all redirects should go to a specific page. If a redirect is relevant to another page or equipment make sure that is redirects there.
- do no delete redirects in user namespaces
- don't delete redirects unless the following are all true:
- the redirect goes to another redirect or creates a loop or leads to a page or redirect that doesn't exist
- and there are no pages linking to that redirect
- when edits are made you should can use the signature button (second button to the right in the edit)--Rtystgeeke (talk) 16:54, 19 November 2016 (CST)
- you can also type ~~~~ characters together to insert a timestamped signature when typing Skm (talk) 14:40, 3 December 2016 (CST)
creating your own user page
- Log into the wiki
- Typing wiki.pumpingstationone.org/user:your_user_name into your browser
- Click the create button in the upper right corner
- Edit your page with your info, tools you know, things you want to learn, and any applicable categories
- Users who are interested in wiki maintenance can edit their user page and add this text to their User page: [[Category:WikiGnomes]]
- If you want to be fancy you can create a redirect by making a new page (with your name or nickname) as the page title and then type REDIRECT#User:(your user name)
Links to important pages
- User:Wikibot and Wikibot manual
- candidates for deletion
- orphans: Special:LonelyPages - read this wiki article about how to de-orphan. Do not de-orphan just for its own sake.
- Oldest pages: Special:AncientPages
- The Wiki
- Category:Broken Equipment
- Documentation for Semantic Mediawiki Extension
- Wiki Editing
- YouTube Tutorial Videos
Tasks to do
- develop strategy for determining orphan pages, and linking them. Lots of pages are categorized but not linked (any way to differentiate?)
- Talk to Dave about including categories and special pages bar, or coming up with a better search in general
- de-duplicating information
- who can edit the wiki infrastructure? Toba, Hef, Daniel P, Doorman Dave
- who wants to get access to edit the infrastructure? Ron O
- remove pages for deletion
- orphaned pages should exclude pages that are linked via categories
- figure out if Special:Wantedcategories that do not have category: pages should be removed from the linking pages or created
- fix Category:EquipmentPageErrorNoAreahost so that all equipment belongs to an area host or member
- add Category:Retired_Equipment Equipment to equipment that has wiki pages but is deprecated for some reason
- I'd like to create a new template very similar to the candidates marked for deletion that has a reason or link to a new machine
- add Template:NeedsUpdate to pages with old, incorrect, or missing information
- roll duplicated information into less pages
Ideas for improvement
- email digest to google groups/area host a list of broken tools automatically based on broken tool list
- correlate member pages to list of current members, tag their user page as such