3D printer purchase v2
- 2013-12-19 - Initial Draft
- 2013-12-20 - Vote withdrawn
Pumping Station: One is rapidly approaching 300 members. The laser engraver and 3D printers tend to be the most interesting (Shiny! Cool!) machines for new members, and certainly serve as a motivation for joining PS:1. We committed to having a high-quality laser. We should continue the trend of obtaining high-quality technology for our members and supplement (or replace) some of our current 3D printing equipment with a recent machine from a reputable manufacturer.
I've opted to propose the Lulzbot Taz 3 printer for a few reasons.
- We have an existing relationship with the company. They donated our currently most-functional printer.
- One of our members, Aeva, works for Lulzbot. She currently works fairly closely with Elizabeth in maintaining the AO-101.
- Significantly expanded build volume compared to our current printers.
- 298mm x 275mm x 250mm (11.7in x 10.8in x 9.8in)
- Out-of-the-box support for a variety of materials.
- ABS, PLA, PVA, HIPS, and Laywood
- Nylon and other materials with upgrades.
- It's open source, which is admirable and a desirable quality for most of our members.
This vote, upon passing, nullifies the previous vote: 3D printer purchase, passed on December 17 2013. This will revoke all spending authority authorized by that vote.
This vote, upon passing, authorizes the board or an appointed member to spend as much as $2400 of PS1's savings to purchase the Taz 3 (or the latest flagship printer), from the Lulzbot store. The manufacturer is, at the time of this writing, offering a 1-2 week lead time.
- Retail Price of the printer: $2195
- Shipping: Estimated ~$50
Expected total cost of purchase: $2400 or less.