Meeting Notes 2016-09-20
|<< Meeting Notes 2016-09-13||2016 Meetings||Meeting Notes 2016-09-27 >>|
- Intro to PS1 and what we're about.
- Let new members and visitors intro themselves.
- Pick 2 random people to introduce themselves.
- Introduce the Board and Area Hosts
- Go over things that need doing around the space.
- Awesome call outs
- Tell me about What You Hack
For extended discussions, we may take stack and borrow from MIBS Rules#Meeting Procedures.
Intro to PS1
New People (name - where did you hear about us - what do you make/hack)
- Jackson | Amir referred Jackson | Likes to make animation - business animation
- Makes all kinds of stuff, interior design, growing things
- Matt | beer-brewing, mechanical & electrical work, working on Arduino |
- Caroline | Makes crafty things - knitting, looking to lasercut | found us on the internet
- Mike | Chef, has built CNC machines, wants to make chef's knife, bike build, roto-vap distiller
- Nick | woodworking and metalworking | works with Triano
- Trish | found out about us through a garage sale | metalsmithing, glasswork
- Jeff | just moved to Chicago, googled Chicago hackerspace | worked with microcontrollers, made a toy for his daughter, distillation, laser-engraving, 3D printing, trying to move from Special FX to Product Design
- Skylar | works in IT, trying to branch out | friend of Amir | interested in 3D printing and 3D modeling
- Rachel | Andy's niece-in-law | visiting from CA | interested in woodworking
Two Random Members
- Daron | found us through Google | fusing glass and metal, and other dangerous and hot techniques | member for five months | new hot metals volunteer authorizers
- Andy L. | woodshop authorizer | cabinet-maker / carpenter & kids woodworking program - American School for Maker Arts | found out about us on the internet | member since November
Board and Area Hosts
- Justin - President
- Jennie - Vice President
- Ray - Director of PR
- Lyn - Director at Purple and Wiiiild Events
- Simon - Secretary
- Ron - Hot Metals Host
- Erik - General Area Host
Things that need doing around the space
- Lounge 2.0 needs to be organized
- Liquor cabinet needs to be found
- Do tasks off the Airtable list of tasks for the move.
- We need an area designated as Limbo
- We need a sign on the back door saying to close the door after 7 pm - put one up!
- Casey's going to make a sign
- Need volunteers to help put doors in the CNC area - talk to Andy if you want to learn/practice your drywall and framing skills
- As always:
- Clean up after yourself and leave spaces better than you found them
- Take out the trash, but don't overfill the dumpster
- Doorman Dave fixed everything multiple times at all sorts of inconvenient times like 2 AM - thanks Dave!!
- Lyn for many years of waiver organization - and Jennie too!
- Ron O. stayed late to authorize on hot metals
- Ron always gives the tours and does an awesome job
- Justin and Greg for moving the bar
- Jennie and Andy for CAJOOing
- Lyn for always knowing who is awesome
- Jennie and Adriana for painting the lounge 2.0 ceiling
What have you been hacking
- Skylar carved a pumpkin with a Raspberry Pi and speakers - and learned how to solder under high pressure
- Ron made an Amazon Echo with a Raspberry Pi
- Erik is carrying gaffer's tape wrapped around an old hotel key
- Jennie has been casting faces in plaster for the power racing car (new theme: car of a thousand faces)
- Andy is working on a guitar side heat bender - if anybody wants to help out
- Avondale Neighborhood Association meeting here on December 9th
- Also debuting a book
- We just toured DMDII Labs
- Quarterly meetups are getting organized for regional hackerspaces
- The first meetup might be in Chicago, maybe at PS1
- Pole Vision on Channel 24.4 interviewed Ray and he was on the news
- October 6 - Manufacturing Week - CNC build club. Also December 1st
- Fusion 360 Meetup - October 12 here, come learn modeling and Fusion 360 software
- Power Racing - two races - this weekend Milwaukee, next week in New York
- New Member Orientation - 4 pm in lounge - come find out about being a member here
- Working on rethinking member meetings and new member orientation
- CAJOO - 7 pm - come play instruments, we have some extra instruments, no skill is required
- Game Night - Saturday - 5pm until late, come play analog games
- Python Office Hours - 7pm in the Electronics Area
- NERP - Monday at 7pm in the Electronics Area
- Startup Art Fair - Simon has a room at an art fair this weekend. Contact him for free passes.
- Is there any information about the Halloween party?
- Not yet - a spooky surprise to be determined
Who wants to give a tour?
- Thanks Ray for giving a tour!