3D printer purchase
- 2013-11-18 - Initial draft
- 2013-12-09 - Proposed vote date
Pumping Station: One is rapidly approaching 300 members. The laser engraver and 3D printers tend to be the most interesting (Shiny! Cool!) machines for new members, and certainly serve as a motivation for joining PS:1. We committed to having a high-quality laser. We should continue the trend of obtaining high-quality technology for our members and supplement (or replace) some of our current 3D printing equipment with a recent machine from a reputable manufacturer.
I've opted to propose the Lulzbot Taz 2 printer for a few reasons.
- We have an existing relationship with the company. They donated our currently most-functional printer.
- One of our members, Aeva, works for Lulzbot. She currently works fairly closely with Elizabeth in maintaining the AO-101.
- Significantly expanded build volume compared to our current printers.
- 298mm x 275mm x 250mm (11.7in x 10.8in x 9.8in)
- Out-of-the-box support for a variety of materials.
- ABS, PLA, PVA, HIPS, and Laywood
- It's open source, which is admirable and a desirable quality for most of our members.
Authorize the board to spend as much as $2500 to pre-order a Lulzbot Taz 2 printer, from the Lulzbot store. The manufacturer is anticipating ship dates before the end of 2013.
- Retail Price of the printer: $2395
- Shipping: Estimated ~$50
Expected total cost of purchase: $2500 or less.