Difference between revisions of "Universal PLS6.150D 150W Laser Engraver"
m (→List of Currently Authorized Users)
|Line 222:||Line 222:|
[[Category:Certification Clarification Needed]]
[[Category:Certification Clarification Needed]]
Latest revision as of 19:27, 12 August 2019
|Arrival Date||August 2017|
|Contact||Lasers Area Host|
- 1 Status
- 2 Authorization: How to Get Authorized
- 3 References and Manuals
- 4 About
- 5 Procedures
- 6 Running your job
- 7 Laser Materials
- 8 Banned Materials
- 9 List of Currently Authorized Users
- 6/27/2019 Universal was repaired by Scientific Spectrum Midwest to full functionality. Need to fix air supply before the Universal is put back into service. See required parts needed Media:Air_Assist_Parts_Assembly.doc See Media:2_Table_Calibration_Platform_Lasers.pdf and Media:5_Cleaning_and_Maintenance.pdf for maintenance. If you need to get familiar with the universal, please checkout out Media:6_Keep_these_thoughts_in_mind_when_creating_a_drawing.pdf and Media:7 Laser procedure.pdf
- 5/19/2019 Universal laser is not working. Ask the Area Host at email@example.com for more information.
- 04/1/2019 Back Up And running, Check Google Group for more details
- 02/18/2019 Out of Service: Assembly out for repair; no ETA on repairs; check Google Group for more details and updates.
- 12/20/2018 Universal 15OW is running on the top tube only (so, effectively 75W), and even so is cutting weakly.
- (12/2/2017) Hooked up to ex-Epilog air and exhaust connection. The air assist works but does leak using the quick connect fitting, the other fitting requires a 1/2" (I think) screw fitting which will create a better seal. The x-axis is off by ~3/8", y is off too but didn't measure.
Current status: connected to exhaust and compressed air using the ones designed for the Epilog while the Epilog is out of service. Figuring out authorizations. If you want to be part of that, get in touch with CNC Area Host or folks on the Danger Committee.
- (2017/05/20) Wiki page created
- (August 2017) Laser donated from SAIC - thank you, Anna Yu!
Authorization: How to Get Authorized
Authorization for the laser is not viral, meaning you must seek out a Volunteer Authorizer. There are Volunteer Authorizers that tend to run regularly scheduled authorizations. Check the calendar of events: https://pumpingstationone.org/events/ Contact the laser area host at firstname.lastname@example.org if you need to find an authorizer. If no authorizations are scheduled in the next 30 days, then post on the Google Group email list or contact email@example.com; look for a recent thread about laser authorizations and post there.
Danger Committee folks from the other laser systems should consider themselves on the Danger Committee for this bad boy, too. Let's get this thing in regular rotation, stat!
References and Manuals
- Preflight checklist
- Illustrator and Photoshop basic setup and operation
- Universal Laser PLS6.150D User Manual
- Materials Settings Reference
- Media:7 Laser procedure.pdf
The Universal Laser Systems PLS6.150D is a free-standing platform with a materials processing envelope of 32" x 18" x 9" or 5,184 in³ (813 x 457 x 229 mm or 84,950 cm³) that supports dual lasers. As a dual laser platform, the PLS6.150 can support up to two 10.6µ CO2 lasers with a power range of 10 watts to 150 watts. Additionally, it can support a single 9.3µ CO2 of 30, 50 or 75 watts. (if a 9.3u CO2 laser is installed, only one 10.6 CO2 of up to 75 watts may be installed at the same time.)
This one has two 75Wlasers totaling 150W of power.
The unit was donated from SAIC.
Setting Up Your Computer
- To make your life easier, get used to setting your vector cuts red and raster black.
- White is one of the colors in the template, but acts as a mask unless you tell it otherwise.
- Click "Apply" every time you do anything in the print settings, or it won't save.
- Turn on the air assist by flipping the switch dangling from the board behind the laser.
- Air assist is used for vector cutting to have nice traces and avoid your material to burn. However some people like to have it disabled for raster jobs.
- Turn air assist off when you've finished and you don't need it while doing your settings.
- Check the WATER TRAP adjacent to the regulator for accumulated water from time to time. Place a container (and maybe some paper towels) under the regulator and vent accumulated water from the bottom using the small petcock. If too much water accumulates in the regulator, it may flow through the air hose and into the machine, spraying onto the bed/material.
- Turn on the Exhaust Fan by flipping the switch on the gray box to the left of the Boss Laser.
Powering On Machine
- Turn on the Power Switch and let the machine complete the entire boot up cycle, approximately 1-2 minutes.
Running your job
- Use the printer driver and Universal Control Panel (UCP) to send data to the laser.
- The printer driver is discussed from page 39-57 of the manual, and on page 58-62, the UCP is explained.
Powering Off Machine
- Allow the Exhaust & Air Assist to run for approximately 10-15 after completing a job. (DO NOT CYCLE THE EXHAUST SYSTEM RAPIDLY).
- Turn off the Exhaust & Air Assist FIRST
- Power down the machine
- Clean up you materials, throw away scrap, make sure the focusing tool is replaced
|PETG, PET||Along with other emissions, is known to emit Benzene which is known to cause cancer.|
|Polystyrene||Known to emit styrene fumes.|
|ABS||Emits cyanide gas and tends to melt.|
|PVC||Emits chlorine gas during a cut.|
|Bending Plywood||Bends into the path of the laser carriage during operation.|
|Tropical Hardwoods||A lot of tropical hardwoods have toxins in the wood.|
|Corian||Creates a fine grit inside the laser bed and will grind down equipment.|
|Casting Wax||Melts a lot.|
|Nylon||Emits toxic fumes.|
|Vinyl||Emits chlorine gas during a cut|
|Delrin||Along with other emissions, is known to emit Benzene which is known to cause cancer.|
|Foamcore||Foamcore is an expanded polystyrene and is known to emit styrene fumes when cut.|
List of Currently Authorized Users
|Qualified Member||Trained By||Date|
|Fritz Sullivan||Deanna Williams||1/26/2019|
|Ashish Jasani||Ashish Jasani|
|Dan Sharp||Ashish Jasani||1/12/2019|
|Theo T||Ashish Jasani|
|Anna Yu||Ashish Jasani||12/19/2017|
|Revant Ohri||Ashish Jasani||12/19/2017|
|John Zappa||Ashish Jasani||12/19/2017|
|Marta Guerrero||Ashish Jasani||12/19/2017|
|Sam Dreyer||Ashish Jasani||1/12/2018|
|Jeremie Davis||Joseph Juhnke||1/27/2018|
|Kevin Mitchell||Joseph Juhnke||1/27/2018|
|Deanna Williams||Joseph Juhnke||1/27/2018|
|Aaron Carlock||Joe Mertz||2/28/2018|
|Nick Prorok||Joe Mertz||2/28/2018|
|McTavish Mcardle||Joe Mertz||2018-05-09|
|Paul Rapoport||Joe Mertz||2018-05-09|
|Brendan Fortune||Deanna Williams||12-May-2018|
|Chris Laurent||Sky Nova||2018-06-30|
|Aidan Fowler||Joe Mertz||2018-08-2|
|Nathan Upchurch||Deanna Williams||2019-08-13|