Epilog 30w Mini 24 Laser Engraver
|This tool is currently broken, please contact the area host for more information.|
|Serial Number||SERIAL NUMBER|
|Contact||CNC Area Host|
|Where||CNC room against northwest wall|
- 1 Status
- 2 Usage Policy
- 3 Top Eight Epilog Laser Tips
- 4 Authorization
- 5 General Info
- 6 Ventilation
- 7 Air assist
- 8 Finishing up
- 9 Troubleshooting
- 10 Laser Materials
- 11 Strategies and techniques
- 12 General references
- 13 Short list of laser designs on Thingiverse
- 14 Software Compatibility
- 15 Rotary Attachment
- 16 Known issues
- 17 List of Currently Certified Users
The Epilog is broken and won't be repaired anytime real soon. February 1, 2018.
Due to the Epilog being moved, there are new procedures for getting it operational. Currently, the air assist switch is dangling from a board to the left of the laser. The air assist no longer hisses as a solenoid has been installed to prevent leakage during inactivity. The vent switch is on the left of the Boss laser, labeled as such. The other switch is for the Boss chiller and should not be touched for use of the Epilog.
The Epilog uses the inline exhaust fan through the roof, the switch for that is wired into a box on an orange extension cord; the fume extractor is not currently being used with the laser. You must use air assist (compressed air) and the exhaust fan whenever you use the laser. This information is now outdated and will be revised as the CNC room is finalized. Skynaya (talk) 19:42, 24 January 2017 (CST)
Epilog/Epilog service notes - please note any service, repairs, or adjustments you make to the machine.
The laser cutter is easily one of the most used machines at PS1. Due to this demand we request the cooperation of all members to share the laser cutter and associated computer. First and foremost, the practice "being excellent" should be observed at all times; respect yourself, other members, and the equipment. This is a usage policy so that everyone can use the laser:
- Any user not actively test cutting or cutting will cede the computer and laser to the next person waiting in line, as soon as that waiting user notifies the current computer user. If you are still designing your file, please do so on another computer. Artastic (another PC upstairs) in the Crafts Area also has a copy of Adobe Illustrator.
- If someone is waiting in line to use the laser, no active test cut or cut series shall be longer than 1 hour. No jobs will be allowed to start that overrun the 1 hour time limit when a new user is waiting.
- In the case that your last cut is longer than the 1 hour time limit, and a waiting user presents themselves after the cut has started, the cut job shall be allowed to finish and the waiting user will be allowed to set up their file in their own user account, during the cutting period.
- Continuous cutting shall not exceed 3 consecutive hours without a half hour break for the laser to cool. If a new user arrives before or during the cooling period the current user shall cede the laser to the next user, and the next user will wait for the cooling period to finish and the cooling period shall not count towards the 1 hours limit should another user present themselves.
- Waiting users shall notify the current user verbally that they are waiting and where they will be waiting until it is their turn. If multiple users are waiting, the next waiting user must start their test cutting or cut job within 10 minutes of being notified of a laser opening. The current user will keep a record of who is waiting, where they will be, and notify subsequent users of the status of the queue. The current user will find the next waiting user and verbally inform them that the laser is available.
Additional Ways to be Excellent
- Have your artwork and your materials prepared and ready ahead of time. Artastic (another PC upstairs) in the Crafts Area has a copy of Adobe Illustrator.
- Allow people to start setting up their job after your last cut starts running. If you're concerned about a last minute adjustment, you can use Window's switch user feature to keep your file available.
- If there is someone waiting, get their phone number to text them, if possible. Texting allows you to give them a heads up so they can start setting up their job without you leaving the laser are. (Leaving the laser running unattended is against the rules.) It also spares you from having to physically track down the other user.
Table Saw Note!
Items that have been cut on the laser cutter have the potential to set off the SawStop table saw safety brake. This will make the saw unusable until the SawStop cartridge is replaced, which costs ~ $75! It typically happens if there is an excess of carbon char on the edges.
Before use the SawStop to cut anything from the laser cutter please test the piece on the edge of the blade when the blade is not turning and see if it activates a red light on the display. How do you do this.
- Turn on the main power switch to the Sawstop.
- DO NOT TURN ON THE BLADE. THE BLADE must not be moving.
- Check and see if the green light is on the front of the saw.
- Slide the piece you want to cut up to and contact the blade.
- Look at the lights on the front of the SawStop. If it is green you should be OK to proceed. If its red. DO NOT CUT. IT WILL TRIGGER THE BRAKE.
You can try to sand off the char and repeat steps 1-5 or use another method to cut these pieces.
Top Eight Epilog Laser Tips
- Don't use the autofocus, because it could burn out a motor.
- Don't cut materials that will ignite or emit dangerous fumes (any chlorinated plastic like PVC, for example). See section below.
- Always use the exhaust fan/always use the air assist on vector cuts.
- You must stay with the job; don't walk away. Things could catch on fire, that would suck.
- Sometimes it's a pain to get the right driver working.
- Do not attempt to service the machine yourself unless you've cleared it with the CNC Area Host
- Do not touch any settings in the Config menu on the machine itself
- Do not touch any settings in the Maint menu on the machine itself except you may use Maint/1/Return Home to reset the cutting head to the machine's default origin (<.015" inside the top left corner as of 8/8/15)
- This should be obvious, but do not press hard or put heavy objects in the cutter. Abusing the bed supports WILL bend them and make the bed impossible to level.
Authorization for the laser is not viral, meaning you must seek out a recommended authorizer. There are fairly frequent authorizations. Currently (as of Jan 2016) SOME authorizations will appear on the calendar, but are not planned much more than 2 weeks in advance. See below for list of authorized users and link to authorized trainers. Post on the Google Group email list; look for a recent thread about laser authorizations and post there.
The laser cutter now has recommended authorizers. Recommended authorizers will periodically conduct authorization sessions for PS:1 members wishing to use the laser engraver. These sessions will be announced on the members' listserv as early as is practicable. A recommended authorizer can follow the instructions on Laser Engraver Certification to enable logins to the laser engraver computer.
This machine: http://www.epiloglaser.com/mini24_overview.htm
Manual for this machine: http://www.epiloglaser.com/downloads/pdf/mini_helix_4.22.10.pdf
Cleaning the optics: http://www.epiloglaser.com/tl_clean_optics.htm
Inkscape for newbies: http://blog.ponoko.com/2008/01/21/how-to-inkscape-for-ponoko-newbies-trace-an-image/
Experiment with Laser settings to find the lowest possible power and highest possible speed to get clean vector cuts. The new optics and tube (as of December 2014) can cut many organic materials with a minimum of charring.
Always turn on the exhaust fan using the switch located in the silver box to the left of the Boss laser, labeled "VENT".
Air assist is used for vector cutting to have nice traces and avoid your material to burn. However some people like to have it disabled for raster jobs.
Turn air assist off when you've finished and you don't need it while doing your settings.
Check the regulator for accumulated water from time to time. Place a container (and maybe some paper towels) under the regulator and vent accumulated water from the bottom using the small petcock. If too much water accumulates in the regulator, it may flow through the air hose and into the machine, spraying onto the bed/material.
Leave the machine running as you pack up - the laser tube is air cooled by fans. Leaving the fans running after your job is done will help cool it off and make it last longer. The last thing to do before you walk away from the machine is to turn it off.
Please leave the machine and the surrounding area cleaner than you found it by emptying the crumb tray below the cutting table, picking up cutouts, and vacuuming up any acrylic dust you made. While you're waiting on the laser is a good time to grab a shop vac and clean the vicinity.
If you click print on the computer but the file does not load onto the laser cutter, select the correct driver from the print dialog box (do not select a grayed out driver, select the one that is status "Ready"). If that won't work, try unplugging the red USB cord on the back of the computer and plugging it back in. It was probably unplugged or not making contact well enough.
Suitable materials for lasering are on the Laser Materials page. In general the Epilog can cut up to 1/4" thick materials successfully. No laser owned by PS1 can cut metals.
Strategies and techniques
See main article, Epilog techniques.
Epilog Laser settings for various materials.
incredible box maker, with holes and text: http://www.makercase.com/
parametric python box generator: http://www.festi.info/boxes.py/
parametric pdf box creator: http://boxmaker.rahulbotics.com/
parametric svg box creator: http://www.giplt.nl/svg/ (load > construction category > better box)
Ladyada's info on the proper application of laser beams: http://www.ladyada.net/wiki/laserinfo/equipment
Information on materials that can and can't be cut: http://www.pololu.com/docs/0J24/3
parametric flexbox generator: http://flexbox.herokuapp.com/
http://blog.makezine.com/archive/2008/08/how-to-lasercut-custom-bo.html - Laser cut boxes
Short list of laser designs on Thingiverse
All laser cutter things on Thingiverse
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2321 - Theo Janssen
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:2073 - Drill gauge
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1521 - Gyroscope
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:1203 - 608 bearing wrapper + face
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:952 - Small box
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:53 - planetary gears
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5265 - Peristaltic pump
http://www.thingiverse.com/thing:5076 - Wire spool holder
Note: this indicates success in using this software with the printer driver, not general capabilities about the software itself.
|Software type||Manufacturer||File extensions||Raster (engraving)||Vector (cutting)||Other notes|
|CorelDraw||Corel||cbr||yes||yes||not available on machine|
|Illustrator CC||Adobe||ai, eps, svg, pdf||yes||yes||available on machine|
|Photoshop CC||Adobe||psd, eps, pdf||yes||yes||available on machine|
|Inkscape||Open Source||yes||yes (only if printed from PDF)||save as PDF (vectors should be stroked .01mm), then print from Acrobat. works for bitmap and vector.|
Notes on Software Compatibility
Adobe Illustrator and the epilog drivers don't always work great together. If you're experiencing any of the following, there is a simple fix:
- Job runs, but it's an empty run. Laser head moves once then completes, even though raster vs vector is correctly configured and stokes are set to 0.072pt.
- Updating the media size in the epilog print driver does not update the size in Illustrator's print dialog, unless you reopen settings and press 'OK' in epilog again another time or two.
- Open pressing print in Illustrator, you get a message about "nothing to print in selected layers" or similar.
- Media size entered in epilog driver is read as the reverse by Illustrator (e.g. 24x12 is seen as 12x24 by Illustrator)
It seems epilog's driver doesn't play nicely with Illustrator, and Illustrator interfaces with the print driver a lot because it micromanages a lot of things. If your document is saved as a .AI with PDF compatibility, simply right-click your AI file and open with Adobe Reader instead of Adobe Illustrator, and print from there.
Adobe Reader has a much more "dumbed down" print dialog that just works with Epilog's driver. You don't have to resave your .AI as .PDF, as Adobe Reader can read .AI files saved in compatibility mode (that's the default).
NB: Always return the machine back to the default configuration with a cutting bed after use.
Do not attempt to install the rotary attachment without ensuring that the cutting head AND autofocus plunger will clear it. It is extremely easy to damage the autofocus plunger and/or crash the head in the Y dimension, which will burn the motor out and make a lot of people sad.
- Turn machine on
- Disable X/Y
- Open front cover
- Lower bed almost to the bottom of the machine while still allowing the catch tray to be removed
- Turn machine off NOT TURNING IT OFF CAN DAMAGE/DESTROY THE ELECTRONICS.
- Flip up rulers and remove cutting bed
- Remove slide out catch tray
- Install the attachment locating it in the 3 holes in the bottom of the bed DO NOT CONNECT PLUG YET
- Make sure the Y axis will clear the top of the attachment, if it will not turn the machine on and lower the bed further making sure to turn it off afterwards
- Connect the attachment cable to the connector in the back of the bed
- Turn the machine on - the machine will zero home over the top of the attachment
Reverse steps to uninstall.
- DO NOT USE AUTO FOCUS
- 0,0 is TOP LEFT
- Y axis is wrapped around the piece
- Set Y size to circumference of piece - measure with soft tape or string/ribbon/etc
- Make sure to set print size in driver to same as art board in illustrator
The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed
- main page The trust relationship between this workstation and the primary domain failed
- Might be fixed now
- Occasional workaround: reboot
I was certified a long time ago
You need to
- Be a Current Member
- Have a https://members.pumpingstationone.org account
- Talk to a recommended certifier, The area host, or email firstname.lastname@example.org
You may be asked to get recertified.
List of Currently Certified Users
This list is hugely incomplete because nobody was doing it. If you are authorized and remember who authorized you, go ahead and add yourself. Your non-presence on this list is not intended to insult you or your relatives. The thing that really matters is if you are enabled by virtue of being a "Epilog Laser authorized person" in your user/member account. Having your name on this list does not automatically enable you to log in on the machine that is connected to the Epilog.
|Qualified Member||Trained By|
|Nat Zorach||Will McShane|
|Will McShane||Danger Committee|
|Eric Stein||Will McShane|
|Patrick Schless||Will McShane|
|Tom Forajter||Will McShane|
|Colin Parsons||Patrick Swayze (RIP)|
|Andrew Camardella||Colin Parsons|
|Dan Locks||Colin Parsons|
|Mahmoud Al-Qudsi||Colin Parsons|
|Lauren Conroy||Colin Parsons|
|Jesse Seay||Colin Parsons|
|Sai Yamanoor||Colin Parsons|
|Adam Talsma||Colin Parsons|
|Josh Cooper||Colin Parsons|
|Bryan Rosendale||Colin Parsons|
|Kevin Caughlin||Colin Parsons|
|Nathan Becka||Colin Parsons|
|Stephen Kamykowski||Colin Parsons|
|Jesse Seay||Colin Parsons|
|Bart Dring||Colin Parsons|
|Mike Morarity||Colin Parsons|
|Tony Dipaolo||Colin Parsons|
|Adrew An||Colin Parsons|
|Dean Anderson||Colin Parsons|
|Francesca Slade||Colin Parsons|
|David Fell||Colin Parsons|
|Ron Olson||Colin Parsons|
|Jason Shanfield||Will McShane|
|Elizabeth Koprucki||Will McShane|
|George Shaw||Will McShane|
|Andrew Kos||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Derek Bever||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Jason Araujo||Derek Bever|
|Adam Glick||Ray Doeksen|
|Nathan Ellis||Jason Shanfield|
|Rob Riggs (Colorado Rob)||Elizabeth|
|Arturo Duarte||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|James Porter||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Ryan Kelly||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Sloan Lavery||William McShane|
|Casey Olson||Jason Shanfield|
|Spenser Gilliland||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Jeff McBride||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|David Morton||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Thomas Wright||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Touly Phiachantharath||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Robert Grossman||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Eddie Muela||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Rachel Wallis||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Nick Halderman||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Eric Beauchamp||Jason Shanfield|
|Aaron Mintz||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Matt Makris||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Roger Moore||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Michael Leinartas||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Solomon Hursey||Elizabeth Kopruki|
|Darold Higa||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Curtiss Cooke||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Dubi Kaufmann||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Maria Miller||Derek Bever|
|Andrew Sowa||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Mike Kislovsky||Will McShane|
|Kyle Bieneman||Will McShane|
|Michael Solheim||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Tim Geiser||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Lucas Goossen||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Alec Weege||Jason Shanfield|
|Arjun Wadnerkar||Jason Shanfield|
|Kevin Pulver||Ray Doeksen|
|David Butler||Ray Doeksen|
|Mike Mandrea||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Davis Mazariegos||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|John Farmer||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Knute Martell||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Leon Grossman||Jason Shanfield|
|Tina C||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Benjamin Miller||Jason Shanfield|
|Ryan Taylor||Jason Shanfield|
|Joe Wallace||Jason Shanfield|
|Ryan Neuman||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Scott Little||Ray Doeksen|
|Scott Drane||Ray Doeksen|
|Will Garza||Ray Doeksen|
|Mike Jones||Ray Doeksen|
|Bryan Sills||Ray Doeksen|
|Mike Patton||Ray Doeksen|
|James Huber||Jason Shanfield|
|Doorman Dave||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Simon Pyle||Jason Shanfield|
|Kurt Ziegel||Lyn Cole|
|Ralph Brendler||Jonathan Bisson|
|Robert Caruso||Ray Doeksen|
|(Raj) Joseph Perera||Ray Doeksen|
|Jonathan Bisson||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Burton Kent||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Erik Wessing||Ray Doeksen|
|Matt Crump||Ray Doeksen|
|Eugene Liolumovich||Ray Doeksen|
|Avner Shanan||Ray Doeksen|
|Chinzorig Davaatseren||Ray Doeksen|
|Temuulen Erdenekhvv||Ray Doeksen|
|Krista Benson||Ray Doeksen --Rdoeksen (talk) 16:09, 28 August 2015 (CDT)|
|Bradley Jiminez||Ray Doeksen --Rdoeksen (talk) 16:09, 28 August 2015 (CDT)|
|James Baker||Ray Doeksen|
|Hunter Koerner||Ray Doeksen|
|Tricia Scully||Ray Doeksen|
|Danika Faiola --Rdoeksen (talk) 21:34, 9 September 2015 (CDT)||Ray Doeksen|
|Jim Hartmann||Ray Doeksen|
|Jonathan Levine||Ray Doeksen|
|Keith Hultman||Khoi Nguyen|
|Julia Padvoiskis||Ray Doeksen|
|Erik Funkhouser||Ray Doeksen|
|Steve Kuenstler||Elizabeth Koprucki|
|Shane Kanter 10/18/2015||Ray Doeksen|
|Andy Larkin 10/20/2015||Ray Doeksen|
|David Gutowsky||Ray Doeksen|
|Nicholas Hawley||Ray Doeksen|
|Kevin Mitchell||Ray Doeksen|
|David Rubman 11/23/2105||Ray Doeksen|
|Jeff Smykil||Ray Doeksen|
|Samuel Sion||Ron Olson|
|David O'Brien --Rdoeksen (talk) 22:37, 21 December 2015 (CST)||Ray Doeksen|
|Greg Kudlacz||Ray Doeksen|
|Daya Alexander||Ray Doeksen|
|Andrew Dalesandro||Ray Doeksen|
|An Phan||Jonathan Bisson|
|Connor Sullivan||Tom Judge||1/22/16|
|Brian Zable||Ray Doeksen|
|Joe Iklov||Ray Doeksen|
|Ashley Matrisciano||Ray Doeksen|
|Juan Ramos||Ray Doeksen|
|Jacob Collins||Burton Kent|
|Joseph Dowling||Burton Kent|
|Matt Keith||Burton Kent|
|Eugene Shockey Funke||Burton Kent|
|Donald Wells||Ray Doeksen||8/29/2016|
|McTavish McArdle||Ray Doeksen||2016-08-29|
|Ryan Kapp||Ray Doeksen|
|Skylar Nova||Ray Doeksen|
|Candice Son||Burton Kent|
|Rhonda Jackson||Burton Kent|
|Carlos Flores||Burton Kent|
|Idris Raja||Burton Kent|
|Ryan Fiebing||Burton Kent|
|Christian Tsu-Raun||Burton Kent|
|Danny Blanchard||Burton Kent|
|Leo Rodman||Burton Kent|
|Nick Puglisi||Burton Kent|
|Revant Ohri||Burton Kent|
|Daniel Conrad||Burton Kent|
|Mark Haughey||Ray Doeksen|
|Marianna Belmares||Andrew Camardella|
|Jonathan Komperaa||Burton Kent|
|John McDonald||Burton Kent|
|Jeff Saltzmann||Burton Kent|
|Miles Aurbek||Burton Kent|
|Ian Stubbs||Burton Kent|
|Michael Siles||Burton Kent|
|Arlene Bueno||Burton Kent|
|Stephan Martone||Burton Kent|
|Ashish Jasani||Burton Kent|
|Lyn Cole||Colin Parsons|
|Aaron Canlock||Burton Kent|
|Chris Ruhland||Burton Kent|
|Logan Price||Burton Kent|
|Eileen Madden||Burton Kent|
|Keith Schwartzenberg||Burton Kent|
|Chris Ruhland||Burton Kent|
|Tom Burtonwood||Ray Doeksen|
|Katherine Adamski||Burton Kent|
|Brian Eaton||Burton Kent|
|Scott Condren||Burton Kent|
|Paul McClay||Burton Kent|
|Brian Adamson||Burton Kent|
|Madeline Sibon||Ray Doeksen|
|Sam Chen||Ray Doeksen|
|Jeremy Shaw||Ray Doeksen|
|Andrew Vaughan||Burton Kent|
|Matt Grunstad||Ray Doeksen|
|Sam Yi||Burton Kent||7/29/17|
|Andrew Wingate||Burton Kent|
|Brady Soule||Joe Juhnke|
|Sam Dreyer||Joe Juhnke / Sky Nova|